BLUE

Burger King to introduce bacon sundae

2qnzert.jpg

By Dylan Stableford | The Sideshow

Would you buy a bacon sundae? Burger King is betting you will.

The fast-food chain famous for the Whopper will introduce the limited-time dessert on Thursday as part of its new summer menu. The 510-calorie sundae—vanilla soft serve topped with fudge, caramel, bacon crumbles and a piece of bacon—has 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar.

Earlier this year, Burger King rolled out an expanded menu with healthier fare—fruit smoothies, wraps and salads—with an advertising campaign featuring soccer star David Beckham. The bacon sundae, available through Sept. 3, would seem to be a strategic move in the polar opposite direction—and something akin to Jack in the Box's 1,081 calorie bacon milkshake, which debuted in February.

It also seems to be an attempt to answer Taco Bell's wildly popular Doritos Locos Taco, which became "the most successful product launch in the chain's history" after 100 million were sold in the 10 weeks following its launch in March.

Taco Bell, for its part, is going "upscale." The "Cantina Bell" menu debuting in July, according to Advertising Age, will have "fresh ingredients such as black beans, 'fire-roasted' corn salsa, cilantro rice, pico de gallo and citrus- and herb-marinated chicken that many consumers have come to associate with Chipotle," another restaurant chain.

Burger King's summer menu also includes a Memphis pulled-pork BBQ sandwich, Carolina BBQ Whopper or chicken sandwich, Texas BBQ Whopper or chicken sandwich, sweet potato fries and frozen lemonade.

The bacon sundae, it's worth noting, is downright healthy compared to the Krispy Kreme bacon cheeseburger—a 1,500-calorie behemoth that replaces the buns with doughnuts.

That burger, popularized by Paula Deen, originated at a Massachusetts state fair.

Source: Yahoo.com

That looks and sounds disgusting.

I've had bacon flavored ice cream. Horrible. I love bacon and ice cream but the flavors don't mix.

• Upvote 1

Bacon and chocolate actually play really well off each other flavor-wise. The saltiness of the bacon compliments the sweetness of the chocolate. It doesn't look like they went wayyy overboard with the bacon like I thought they would when I read the thread title.

Considering the quality of fast-food bacon, this will probably taste awful.

You've got to be kidding me.

This just looks gross. They really think people will eat this thing?

Candy bacon maybe.... But like Shotgun said the quality of the bacon would be horrible.

Yeah the extra extra thin slice of bacon that breaks apart as soon as u touch it lol

I love bacon and I love sundaes. I'm fat as hell but I won't be eating that. I can't imagine warm bacon topping my cold sundae.

I think it looks pretty damn good. I guess it depends on what kind of bacon you like; I prefer maple bacon, so that the sweetness pays off the saltiness. I even go so far as to pour maple syrup over my bacon whenever I eat breakfast.

The 510 calories and 18 grams of fat scare the fucking hell out of me, but I will certainly try it at least once.

On a side note, that "Krispy Kreme bacon cheeseburger" the article mentions also sounds fantastic, despite the heart attack threat that it poses.

I don't even eat Bacon :laugh:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do believe that you lose 50 man points for not eating bacon. Your account balance will reflect the deduction within 30 days.

Looks good. fucking pussies too afraid to try.

• Upvote 1

Me either. I used to love it, but as I've grown older, it just disgusts me. Anything that was once a pig outside of REALLY good pork roast or a prime hot dog is downright nasty to me.

Looks okay but I doubt I'll ever try since I never really get desert type foods from fast food places anyways.

You'd have to lose a bet to eat that disgusting shit. The two foods should never ever be mixed, and to add to that, the bacon would be freezing fucking cold. Terrible. Just terrible.

Me either. I used to love it, but as I've grown older, it just disgusts me. Anything that was once a pig outside of REALLY good pork roast or a prime hot dog is downright nasty to me.

sliced pork loin? That shit is delicious, but I tend to agree. Bacon is incredibly overrated for how little flavor it actually possesses. If I eat bacon, I'd rather throw it on a smoker than in a frying pan.

When it comes to pork, the best thing is to smoke it, no matter what cut it is. Smoked pulled pork is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and slow smoked sliced pork is better than just about any steak you can cook.

It's crazy how good or bad pork can be. Fast food bacon is the dumps, a shoulder or loin or ribs in a smoker and you've got something great.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather bake bacon, tbh.