SteVo

Your opinion of the replacement refs?

Now that week 1 is in the books, we've all had a chance to see the replacement refs in action for a regular season NFL game. So, how did they do for your team's game?

Overall I don't see any major mess-ups in the Eagles/Browns game. There were a few questionable pass interference calls/no-calls, but that happens all the time with pass interference. The volume of calls was heavily disproportionate towards the Eagles, but I chalk that up to a lack of discipline rather than bias or incompetence from the refs.

I don't see much of a difference in what they do and what the regular refs call. It seems like they are really being careful to make the right calls, even the insignificant ones that might not be called usually even though they are penalties, just because they know the spotlight is on them.

They missed a few in the Bucs/Panthers game, but they weren't any worse than the regular refs. I say we keep these guys. They don't blow the whistle as much and just let the players play. I like it.

There were a couple questionable calls in the Niner/Pack game. There was an obvious block in the back that was waved on Cobb's punt return. It looks to me like the crew is afraid to throw the flags, so in questionable areas where the regular refs would blow their whistle, these refs let the players play. It will take some time to adjust for the fans.

With all that said, I want the regular refs back asap.

They missed a few in the Bucs/Panthers game, but they weren't any worse than the regular refs. I say we keep these guys. They don't blow the whistle as much and just let the players play. I like it.

Eh. I don't know about that. Some of the ones that missed I feel there is no way the regular refs miss 99% of the time.

Like everyone else said, they seem to be hesitant on throwing the flag and miss some obvious flags. In the Packers/Niners game, they missed a false start on Staley which I have no idea how they can miss an obvious flag. Or another case would be Woodson gets defensive holding for pulling Davis' jersey but Bowman is allowed to wrap his arm all the way around Finley and throw him off his route. Just inconsistent. I rather have the old refs back.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Eh. I don't know about that. Some of the ones that missed I feel there is no way the regular refs miss 99% of the time.

Refs screw up pass interference a lot. The Talib one was a pretty close play, and I'm not sure the regular refs would have called it. That one holding they called on Greg Olson on that 3rd down run was pretty bullshit, but we saw the refs make up a penalty (the same exact one actually) for the Packers two weeks in a row last year, so we can't say the regular refs haven't done that before either.

Those were the two main missed calls I remember. Maybe there were a few more that I'm forgetting.

Refs screw up pass interference a lot. The Talib one was a pretty close play, and I'm not sure the regular refs would have called it. That one holding they called on Greg Olson on that 3rd down run was pretty bullshit, but we saw the refs make up a penalty (the same exact one actually) for the Packers two weeks in a row last year, so we can't say the regular refs haven't done that before either.

Those were the two main missed calls I remember. Maybe there were a few more that I'm forgetting.

The Talib one wasn't close at all. He grabs LaFell's head so that the guy can't even see the ball because Talib is making him look up at the sky. And it was a *huge* play in the game, as that led to an INT.

There was another penalty where Hardy was already in your backfield before the ball was snapped, pretty much, and they didn't call offsides.

I like 'em. I honestly haven't seen anything that made me think "Damn, these guys suck ass."

The Talib one wasn't close at all. He grabs LaFell's head so that the guy can't even see the ball because Talib is making him look up at the sky. And it was a *huge* play in the game, as that led to an INT.

There was another penalty where Hardy was already in your backfield before the ball was snapped, pretty much, and they didn't call offsides.

I was using a computer stream so maybe I just didn't see it to well, but to me it didn't look that obvious.

I'll say this. They've cleaned their shit up a lot since pre-season.

A lot of people are saying that they make calls and mess up just like the regular refs, and that's true, but the difference is the sheer number of times they've screwed up, and I saw some really obvious penalties that I never seen the old refs screw up on.

I will say one thing though, the old refs always threw flags for bullshit penalties that shouldn't have been called. Every single week last season I listened to NFL radio and they would talk about multiple penalties that were called that either didn't happen and the refs threw the flag "just in case" or they happened but it was something like holding way away from the play which they pretty much never call. A part of me likes that I didn't see that in the few games I watched this week, and I haven't heard complaints in that regard on the radio either, I just wish they'd stay more consistent and call it even for both teams. Although that's something last years refs didn't do either.

There were a couple questionable calls in the Niner/Pack game. There was an obvious block in the back that was waved on Cobb's punt return. It looks to me like the crew is afraid to throw the flags, so in questionable areas where the regular refs would blow their whistle, these refs let the players play. It will take some time to adjust for the fans.

No that one they just missed I think.

They threw the flag on another player (Brad Jones) whose block in the back was definitely questionable (I don't think it was block in the back). The other guy (Manning I think) was a definite block in the back and I'm guessing they didn't see it because no way would they have picked it up.

I thought the Niners/Packers game was just inconsistent. The first half they were calling all sorts of stupid things and then the second half it seemed there weren't anything called.

I'm not too worried though I think they'll be fine after a few weeks of experience.

If you go watch the replay, the flag doesn't come onto the screen (while its in the air) until Anthony Dixon, i think it was on the second one, was on the ground. What I think happened is the ref threw it on the right one, and the ref that saw the first one (which wasn't a block in the back) talked the ref out of it. I don't know, it was weird. The real refs wouldn't have missed that call.

they missed a few PI calls on the Patriots, but I can't honestly say that there's no way the regular refs would miss them, only one was really egregious and even those are often missed by the regular refs

Yea there was an outrageous no call in the beginning of the Pats game on one of the Titan's wideouts.

Other than that, my only problem is seeing a yellow flag 10 minutes after the play ends.

I was using a computer stream so maybe I just didn't see it to well, but to me it didn't look that obvious.

And maybe its just my bias in this case. Idk. It looked like really obvious DPI to me.

But the one with Hardy offsides, lol.

He like, makes contact with I think Larsen, who stumbles back a bit, and then Hardy stops, knowing he's offsides. Freeman wisely snaps the ball trying to get a free play, Larsen lets Hardy go around him and Freeman has to throw it away... and no flag is thrown.

Just lol.

Edited by Thanatos19

If you go watch the replay, the flag doesn't come onto the screen (while its in the air) until Anthony Dixon, i think it was on the second one, was on the ground. What I think happened is the ref threw it on the right one, and the ref that saw the first one (which wasn't a block in the back) talked the ref out of it. I don't know, it was weird. The real refs wouldn't have missed that call.

They were throwing flags soo late during the whole game so its hard to say. Something weird happened that play and its hard to say what happened. At least it didn't affect the outcome of the game or everyone would be raging about the refs.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010
  • Upvote 1

I like 'em. I honestly haven't seen anything that made me think "Damn, these guys suck ass."

This, pretty much. Maybe a few bad spots here and there but I haven't seen anything major.

Outside of the all the offsides penalties and false starts, I liked how clean the Jags/Vikes game was. Kinda weird saying that someone is doing a better job by doing a worse job, but that's kinda the case here.

Interesting that that's the only thin you named... :p

The Refs missed an obvious, plain as day false start on the Niners, and then numerous DPI calls. The Niners were able to just mug our wideouts on any downfield throw...

I don't mind letting guys get physical, but at least be consistent with it. :yep:

That's all I really care about. Consistency. These refs don't seem to have it yet.

They really weren't that great in the games that I watched the most (Giants-Cowboys and the Packers-Niners).

I wouldn't say that they cost us the game because that's just dumb ... But I kinda want to see the old refs if not for the only reason to see NBB bitch about them like he has been notorious for in the past.

They really weren't that great in the games that I watched the most (Giants-Cowboys and the Packers-Niners).

I wouldn't say that they cost us the game because that's just dumb ... But I kinda want to see the old refs if not for the only reason to see NBB bitch about them like he has been notorious for in the past.

Ya, I wouldn't say they cost us either.. But they certainly were not very good most of the time. Maybe the NFL will give us a better crew for the primetime TNF game. Hopefully.

They may not have really determined the outcome of any games this past weekend, but they are still absolutely terrible. When the "real guys" come back and the NFL dumps these officials, it will be an extremely long time before you hear people complaining about how terrible the officials are. We are all now seeing how accurate and high class they are in terms of officials.

It's just ridiculous. You know what I found even more ridiculous - something I heard on the radio last night coming home from work - the lead lines official in the Browns/Eagles gamev(Kevin Akin) was in Oklahoma last night. Seems he was officiating a 7th grade football game. Now don't get me wrong, he has every right to pay his bills and that IS - afterall - his job. However, I would have thought that given the NFL's high stature they would be able to pull guys from levels a little higher than junior high football. No wonder these guys are making terrible calls all weekend long. A portion of them are used to watching KIDS play football. Kids that probably don't even quite have a grip on the complete rules of the game, much less the NFL. Kind of humorous actually. These guys are making a mockery of the NFL. The lockout needs to end NOW.

It's just ridiculous. You know what I found even more ridiculous - something I heard on the radio last night coming home from work - the lead lines official in the Browns/Eagles gamev(Kevin Akin) was in Oklahoma last night. Seems he was officiating a 7th grade football game. Now don't get me wrong, he has every right to pay his bills and that IS - afterall - his job. However, I would have thought that given the NFL's high stature they would be able to pull guys from levels a little higher than junior high football. No wonder these guys are making terrible calls all weekend long. A portion of them are used to watching KIDS play football.

Kind of unfair. He's also done several NCAA II games. Most of these rep refs have NCAA experience or Arena whatever. They aren't picking random guys from highschools. Plus he did the HOF game and I'm sure a couple preseason games. These guys will learn soon enough, and in a while (if the lockout still isn't solved) I doubt anyone will know the difference.