AllYouNeedIsLovie

Update - Colin Kaepernick named starter for Rams game

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start against NO?

• Colin Kaepernick
    • Alex Smith

Alex Smith has been playing like a top 5 QB this season... Kaep did not play nearly well enough to justify taking Smith's job. I guess Harby is in a hurry to get "his guy" on the field.

Wow, pretty surprised about this and as someone who is really rooting for the 49ers to win on Sunday, I'm not sure I like this move. If the 49ers lose because Kaepernick plays like shit, I'll be pissed.

I do not agree with this move at all. Smith has been playing great, efficient football, I believe he is #2 on Razor's list, behind only Peyton Manning.

One great game, no matter how great and no matter who it was against, is not enough to sit your starter. What happens when Colin does poorly, you're going to bring Smith back in? You're telling him, "Oh you're just not good enough to be our #1 guy, but can you just once again come in and take over again until we find that guy?"

It's unfair to someone who is playing smart, efficient football.

Completely disagree with the decision.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Hate the move. You're putting a guy that has been on a serious hot streak (Smith) on the bench. Kaepernick played great in his fill-in role, but I don't think that he played good enough to up and take Smiths job.

This may be incorrect.

According to Trotter, Harbaugh told Smith, "I'm going with Kaepernick. Alex, I'm sorry."

That just seems... odd to say. I don't want to read too much into it, but why would the coach call Alex by his first name and not Colin Kaepernick? It just reads as off.

And now the Niners have said they have not made a decision on the QB, although Kaepernick is taking first-team reps.

Edited by Thanatos19

Could be that the media twisted something he had said about who was taking field at QB for the 49ers. There's a good probability that we could go into this weekend with Kaepernick starting and find out that Smith is still having concussion symptoms.

The Niners have stated that Smith has not been cleared to play yet.

That would contradict Trotter's report, as obviously Harbaugh would not be apologizing to Smith were he going with Colin Kaepernick due to Smith's injury.

A source tells ESPN that Alex Smith (concussion) has been medically cleared, but the Niners are still planning to start Colin Kaepernick in Week 12.

Kaepernick is taking all of the first-team reps heading into Sunday's game against the Saints. At this point, it would be a shock if Smith ends up as anything but the backup. Coach Jim Harbaugh appears rightfully enamored with Kaepernick's dynamic skill set, grading the second-year man's debut Week 11 start as "A-plus-plus." Fantasy owners should be excited as well. Kaepernick's elite running ability raises his statistical "floor" very high.

Source: ESPN.com

Here's one interesting thought I want to point out.

The 49ers' two losses (both with Smith at QB) were both by double digits, both in situations in which they shouldn't have occurred.

What, if any, difference does Kaepernick make against either Minny or NYG? There was no excuse for the Giants to come in and wallop the 9ers at home. There was no excuse to go to Mall of America field and take an ass-whupping like the 9ers did, and Smith played rather poorly in both games. Could Kaepernick have made a difference?

I still say start Smith, but this thought just occurred to me while considering Harbaugh's decision.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Roman: Alex Smith Not Cleared for Contact

“No decision has been made,” Roman said. “We’re hopeful that Alex gets cleared tomorrow, physically. We’re confident in both quarterbacks to be on the field. We’re always going to weigh all the information as we have it and make the best decision for the team at the time. We have ultimate confidence in either.”

49ers.com

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh explained Friday that he is unwilling to publicly divulge his Week 12 starting quarterback because he believes it gives him competitive advantage, even if it's incredibly minimal.

"Maybe one percent, a small percentage," Harbaugh acknowledged. "We'll chase that, sure. We just do not get into what the roles are going to be, how we're going to use them and the specifics of that." We usually poke fun at bad teams for refusing divulge starters, but Harbaugh coaches a good team and his explanation was reasonable. "It's just not something we think is an advantage for us to talk about," he added. "And you may have your opinions on it. It's unorthodox. So be it. You can call me names if you want, or make sport of me. But that's the way we’re going to go about it."

Source: CSN Bay Area

For some reason, this is the hottest topic for me this weekend. Could be due to my fantasy team having Alex Smith as a starter (and now benched with Kaepernick in) or simply because it's such a dominate team playing with their dynamic just before playoffs. Either way, I hope it doesn't ruin a good thing.. my team or theirs.

The way I see it, play the kid. The topic all season when it comes to the 49ers has been, "Can they win a SB despite Alex Smith?" The 49ers have had a rare chance to do things the way they used to do things in the NFL: let the kid sit and learn, wait for the right moment, and then seamlessly transition him in.

Colin has a much higher ceiling, and besides: Smith wouldn't be the first—or best—QB to lose their job to injury... Joe Montana anyone?

I have to say that I think this is mostly a rouse by Harbaugh playing games with opposing coaching staffs making them game plan for both guys, but I think he's also licking his chops to see how Kaepernick looks against another playoff contender. I think regardless of how Kaepernick plays this week, Smith is the guy the rest of the way unless he gets hurt again. Next year all bets are off unless like I said the 9ers win the Super Bowl with Smith

Nah. I think Harbaugh generally likes Kaep more. Even though Alex has played phenomenally, the decision has been made. No reason to bench Colin.

What a raw deal for Alex Smith. That really sucks. You can't handle it with more class than he has though. He'll have his shot elsewhere next year. Really for the guy.

@mattbarrows: This just in: Harbaugh picks Kaepernick.

@MaioccoCSN: Jim Harbaugh announces 49ers starting QB: Kaepernick.

Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick. We all know how coaches love to say they had success with "their guy."

Smith had no chance.

Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick. We all know how coaches love to say they had success with "their guy."

Smith had no chance.

That is true, however he is justified. Kaepernick has played well in both games, so it is not like Harbaugh is just trying to wave it in peoples face he drafted him. Alex had his shot and played well, a kid stepped in and played better. That is the end of it.

I dont think it is fair people are outraged over this saying Smith should not lose his job because of injury but on the other hand sing the praises of Tom Brady. He did the EXACT same thing and people think of it as a great story line and BB is a great coach because he decided to ride the hot hand.

Looking at the situation this could be the EXACT same outcome as well. The 9ers have a great defense and a great line to give the young man time to make his reads or run. They are more than talented enough to win the SB with Kaep at QB.

So if they win is it still stupid or is Smith being "jobbed." No Harbaugh is making a decision and sticking with the hot hand. It takes guts but it is paying off.

Congrats to Kaepernick, but I think that we won't see Alex Smith starting for a while. The 49ers are pretty much already guaranteed a playoff berth, no need to risk injuries.

Why does this say "Update: Alex Smith named starter for the Rams game?"

Little mental error on my part. So used to him starting lol.

I don't necessarily think Kaep played any better than Smith had so far. I almost feel like they're pretty close to the same QB. People forget how mobile Smith is before he runs away from what you thought was a definite sack.

This is the wrong decision and will bite San Fran in the ass at some point later in the season. Hopefully for them it's in the regular season and not in the playoffs.

I don't necessarily think Kaep played any better than Smith had so far. I almost feel like they're pretty close to the same QB. People forget how mobile Smith is before he runs away from what you thought was a definite sack.

This is the wrong decision and will bite San Fran in the ass at some point later in the season. Hopefully for them it's in the regular season and not in the playoffs.

Bware? Defending Alex Smith?

The world really is going to end in three weeks.