Bay

Top 10 WRs list

Let's hear it. Mine coming shortly.

I tried to do this but it's so hard. I'll try again and post it later.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. Reggie Wayne

5. AJ Green

6. Dez Bryant

7. Brandon Marshall

8. Roddy White

9. Victor Cruz

10. Vincent Jackson

1) Calvin Johnson

2) Larry Fitzgerald

3) Andre Johnson

4) Vincent Jackson

5) A.J. Green

6) Reggie Wayne

7) Brandon Marshall

8) Julio Jones

9) Roddy White

10) Demaryius Thomas

Obviously Megatron is #1. I debated taking AJ or Fitz out of the top 3 (where they've been for awhile now), but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Andre gets double-teamed a lot these days and Fitzgerald gets no action with Arizona's awful quarterback situation, so I'm still not convinced there's another receiver on the level of the top three guys.

I felt pretty confident in letting V-Jax and A.J. round out the top five, but beyond that, it's really tough. If I had done this on another day, 6-10 might be completely re-ordered. Guys like Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, Randall Cobb, Dez Bryant could easily be on this list.

Also, I bumped Reggie Wayne a little higher than I normally might have because he transitioned from outside receiver to slot receiver this season and still saw his typical success. The guy is prolific.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You have to have Dez on the top ten list at this point. Pretty surprised you have Jackson at 4. I'd probably bump off Thomas. You also bring up a good point about Cobb and Harvin. I might have to rethink putting Harvin in my top ten.

Wallace and Brown had down years, but they lost Ben for three games and were both injured/missed time. It was also the first season of the new OC and there should be more cohesion next season.

I don't think you can bump Wallace out of top 10 ten contention with stats like these:

capturecjj.png

Edit:

Furthermore, I think people too often laud players as being one of the best in the league after one good season. If Dez is suddenly top 10 after a great season, where're Brandon Lloyd and Miles Austin? Dez, Cobb, et cetera are burgeoning young players, but I put more stock in consistency over one booming season.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I love V-Jax, but I would not consider him a top 5 WR.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. AJ Green

5. Brandon Marshall

6. Roddy White

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Vincent Jackson

9. Julio Jones

10. Demaryius Thomas

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. AJ Green

5. Roddy White

6. Brandon Marshall

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Wes Welker

9. Vincent Jackson

10. Mike Wallace

Okay, well I start things off.

1. Calvin Johnson- It's hard to keep him from your #1 spot seeing the season that he put together this year. What a tremendous season breaking Jerry Rice's single season receiving record. He also developed a lot since last season. Megatron can do more then just go deep now. His route running improved substantially from last year and he's did lots of short medium/intermediate routes for huge gains as well. I would have just liked to see him get in the endzone more; preferably double digits. Would have made his season so much better.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000114071/2012-Best-of-Calvin-Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald- Idc what anyone says but Larry Fitzgerald is still the best WR in the league in my eyes. He is the most sound complete receiver; the prototypical epitome of the WR position. I honestly believe Larry Fitzgerald is the closest thing we have seen to Jerry Rice. Larry still runs some of the best routes in the league. He is a straight up route technician and is so smooth in getting in and out his routes. He also still has the best hands in the NFL. Larry is just in a HORRIBLE situation in Arizona... The Cardinals started FIVE different QBs this year... Their O-line is also a pile of donkey shit. The Cardinals should do him a service and trade him. They are destroying / suppressing a sure fire 1st ballot HoFer from reaching his potential. Free Larry Fitzgerald :pray:

3. A.J Green- I've been saying since the preseason he was prime for a great year. Green is the best young WR in the league and his ceiling is through the roof. He is one of the most athletic and explosive big play WR's in the league. He led the league in big plays of 40 yards or more. He has great hands and runs great routes. He also has amazing jumping ability and attacks the ball so well in the air.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000123605/2012-Best-of-A-J-Green

4. Andre Johnson- He started off the first half of the season slow (possibly due to injury) but he picked it up substantially and proved all the nay sayers that he still has it. He had an amazing, probably historical month of November which really juiced his stats up. I do believe we will see a decline soon but until that officially happens, he stands where he's at.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000122315/2012-Best-of-Andre-Johnson

5. Brandon Marshall- People may be surprised with this pick, but Marshall is a beast. One of the most consistent and underrated WR's in the league. His body of work speaks for itself. He's kinda like an explosive possession receiver (if that makes any sense). He is extremely dangerous every time he gets the ball in his hands. He's a big time YAC receiver and is a huge threat after the catch (reminds me of T.O). Difficult to bring down. He was also the ONLY threat and target on the Bears offense (Cutlers BFF). The 2nd best receiver on the Bears was Matt Forte with 44 catches. Teams game planned for Marshall and he still balled out. He did leave some plays on the field but his production this year was still outstanding; best season of his career. I honestly believe this man has yet to reach his prime and still has developing to do.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000123692/2012-Best-of-Brandon-Marshall

6. Reggie Wayne- He is another WR that defines the WR position. Lots of people believed that Waynes production would go down because of age and because he has a rookie QB; far from the case. Still has great hands, runs great routes and still has to be accounted for at 34. What else can we say? "30s the new 20s."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2012-elite-performers/0ap2000000122013/2012-Best-of-Reggie-Wayne

7. Dez Bryant- One of the biggest under achievers imo the last two seasons in the a row but he showed the league this year what he's capable of. I knew he had it in him knowing it was only a matter of time before he bust out which is exactly what he did this year; particularly in the 2nd half of the season. The 2nd half of the season for Dez can only be described in one way; dominant. This dude could not be stopped and was making plays left and right; a straight TD machine. He was stretching the field with long pass plays and was getting intermediate pass plays and taking them to the house. Another season like this next year and I strongly believe he cracks top 5.

8. Roddy White- Another slightly underrated WR imo. Even though he's 31, he still plays the game and has the energy of a young guy; not to mention he's one of my favorite personalities. Dude is funny. He still makes great plays and is a top receiver in this league.

9. Vincent Jackson- Jackson was probably one of the biggest / most productive Free Agent signings this year. This dude straight balled. He's big fast target that attacks the ball at it's highest point making it hard for defenders to make plays on the ball. Watching him this year was a fun watch; except against us :shifty:

10. Wes Welker- People may be surprised at this pick but Welker is if not the most consistent receiver in the league. His body of work speaks for itself. He caught 100+ receptions 5 out of of his last 6 seasons. Welker also runs some of the better routes in the league. He may not be a burner but he gets separation and has great agility. He doesn't always have the long TD plays or huge gains or be a TD machine, but he tears your ass up between the numbers and is hard to stop. Brady definitely plays a part in it but Welker shows up and makes plays for his ball club (besides in the superbowl :troll:.

Honorable mentions:

Julio Jones- My list almost feels wrong not having this young super star on my list. Definitely one of the athletic freaks in the league with the combination of strength, speed, and jumping ability. The other guys on my list edged him by a very small margin. Can't anoint someone off of potential even though he had a great season. I know he's capable of way better though. Can't wait to see him play next year.

Victor Cruz- This guy emerged and come out against us (Nnamdi :facepalm:). He's definitely a superbly talented receiver and always has to be accounted for, but If I'm going to have a slot receiver on my list, it's going to be Wes Welker. While Victor Cruz is a top receiver in this league and a big time play maker, he hasn't done enough to take Welkers spot. His body of work aint up there yet.

Edited by dutchff7

Here goes...

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Andre Johnson

3. A.J. Green

4. Larry Fitzgerald

5. Roddy White

6. Vincent Jackson

7. Dez Bryant

8. Demaryius Thomas

9. Julio Jones

10. Mike Wallace

This is too hard. Changes will be made.

SO DONT FLIP OUT

:devious:

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. Brandon Marshall

5. AJ Green

6. Roddy White

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Vincent Jackson

9. Julio Jones

10. Percy Harvin

Are some of you guys serious with leaving Dez off your list?

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Andre Johnson

3. Larry Fitzgerald

4. AJ Green

5. Dez Bryant

6. Brandon Marshall

7. Roddy White

8. Vincent Jackson

9. Reggie Wayne

10. Julio Jones

Edited by BradyFan81

Are some of you guys serious with leaving Dez off your list?

I agree with Zack's point about rating players highly after one good season, and that point is further validated when you consider that Dez didn't really break through until the second half of the season.

• Upvote 1

Only reason why Dez isn't on my list is it's really only been one good year. Otherwise Randall Cobb makes my list at 10 :troll:

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Brandon Marshall

3. Andre Johnson

4. Larry Fitzgerald

5. AJ Green

6. Reggie Wayne

7. Roddy White

8. Des Bryant

9. Vincent Jackson

10. Mike Wallace

10b. Percy Harvin

10c. Julio Jones

Are some of you guys serious with leaving Demaryius Thomas off your list?

Fixed. He is the better player after all.

These list are too general, hard to do without setting up requirements and parameters. But this is based off who has the top talent in the league right now not just based off last season.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. Brandon Marshall

5. Roddy White

6. A.J. Green

7. Reggie Wayne

8. Vincent Jackson

9. Mike Wallace

10 Julio Jones

Here goes...

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Andre Johnson

3. A.J. Green

4. Larry Fitzgerald

5. Roddy White

6. Vincent Jackson

7. Dez Bryant

8. Demaryius Thomas

9. Julio Jones

10. Mike Wallace

This is too hard. Changes will be made.

SO DONT FLIP OUT

FTR...I'm not flipping out...but... WHERE'S BRANDON MARSHALL!?? :p

• Upvote 1

Are some of you guys serious with leaving Demaryius Thomas off your list?

He does have Peyton after all.

:troll:

Keep in mind, these were his stats with Tebow when healthy in december:

25 catches, 438 yards, 3 TD's.

With Tebow. He's definitely a talented player.

I've got three tiers in this one, like with RBs I wouldn't argue with switching around players within a tier

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. Roddy White

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Percy Harvin

7. Mike Wallace

8. Brandon Marshall

9. Marques Colston

10. Steve Smith

this one was tough and I'm sure I left off about a dozen quality WRs, but the position is absolutely stacked with quality players

I definitely favored the overall body of work in this ranking, that's mainly why I listed the last four I did instead of guys like Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, and AJ Green, all of whom were tough to leave off, Wes Welker was another guy I really wanted to include, but I couldn't justify him over any of the players I included, like I said the position is absolutely stacked right now, if I were to expand this to top 15 I'd include those five, though I'm not sure what order, and list 7-15 as one tier, and I'm sure I'm still forgetting someone

I was wondering why no one was putting Smitty up there, thank you oochymp.

He broke 1,100 yards, again, despite being double-teamed much of the time. Smith is still a top-10 receiver, IMO.

I've got three tiers in this one, like with RBs I wouldn't argue with switching around players within a tier

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Andre Johnson

4. Roddy White

5. Reggie Wayne

6. Percy Harvin

7. Mike Wallace

8. Brandon Marshall

9. Marques Colston

10. Steve Smith

this one was tough and I'm sure I left off about a dozen quality WRs, but the position is absolutely stacked with quality players

I definitely favored the overall body of work in this ranking, that's mainly why I listed the last four I did instead of guys like Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas, and AJ Green, all of whom were tough to leave off, Wes Welker was another guy I really wanted to include, but I couldn't justify him over any of the players I included, like I said the position is absolutely stacked right now, if I were to expand this to top 15 I'd include those five, though I'm not sure what order, and list 7-15 as one tier, and I'm sure I'm still forgetting someone

All I have to say is, No A.J Green Brah? I understand the comment about body of work but Percy Harvin over Green? He has yet to reach 1,000 yards. I understand him being a threat in the return game but that's on special teams not offense. That's an entire different phase of the game. You can argue with Mike Wallace. Two great seasons and two average seasons including this year. Green's in his second year in the league tops his career highs though. Colston's name was a surprise. One of the good consistent and most underrated possession receivers in the league. Not a top 10 imo but I can dig it. But Green is most definitely a top 10 receiver in this league.

Edited by dutchff7

I was wondering why no one was putting Smitty up there, thank you oochymp.

He broke 1,100 yards, again, despite being double-teamed much of the time. Smith is still a top-10 receiver, IMO.

Steve Smith definitely deserves some love and I'm still a fan. Only reason he didn't get in my top 10 is because he didn't get in the end zone enough.