FartWaffles

Will the white QB eventually become a minority?

:Bills: E.J. Manuel

:Jets: Geno Smith

:Eagles: Michael Vick

:Redskins: Robert Griffin III

:panthers: Cam Newton

:Bucs: Josh Freeman

:49ers: Colin Kaepernick

:Seahawks: Russell Wilson

That's already 1/4 of NFL teams with black quarterbacks expected to make some starts this season. Not to mention some young talent that could eventually become starters in Terrelle Pryor, Matt Scott, Dominique Davis, Tyrod Taylor, etc.

Also Jason Campbell could definitely see some starts for the Cleveland Browns this season.

Some top QB prospects in the 2014 Draft also include Teddy Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd, Brett Hundley, and Logan Thomas.

So basically what I'm getting at is with the new emphasis of athleticism with quarterbacks, do you think there will be a day in the near future that the white starting quarterback will be in the minority?

I say yes. I'd give it about five or so years. What does TGP think?

Edited by FartWaffles

QBs don't have to be black to be athletic...Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, Ben Roethlisberger(well, he's not exactly going to out run everyone, but he's great in the pocket), Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Tannehill, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Christian Ponder and Alex Smith just off the top of my head are white QBs with anywhere from decent to great athleticism. Obviously can list a ton more if we go off of NFL history.

This is a pretty silly question/statement. It's like saying a black QB can't be a pocket passer(and that statement really gets peoples panties in a bunch, wonder if this one will as well)

Edited by .AirMcNair.

QBs don't have to be black to be athletic...Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, Ben Roethlisberger(well, he's not exactly going to out run everyone, but he's great in the pocket), Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Tannehill, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Christian Ponder and Alex Smith just off the top of my head are white QBs with anywhere from decent to great athleticism. Obviously can list a ton more if we go off of NFL history.

This is a pretty silly question/statement. It's like saying a black QB can't be a pocket passer(and that statement really gets peoples panties in a bunch, wonder if this one will as well)

C'mon Air you know I'm not ignorant! Sorry if it came out that way, but I was not just simply saying that only black quarterbacks can be athletic. I was merely pointing out the trend that we are seeing in today's NFL of more and more black quarterbacks getting the opportunity to be a starter. To me this is the last racial barrier in the sport, and it's finally looking like it's being taken down.

• Upvote 1

C'mon Air you know I'm not ignorant! Sorry if it came out that way, but I was not just simply saying that only black quarterbacks can be athletic. I was merely pointing out the trend that we are seeing in today's NFL of more and more black quarterbacks getting the opportunity to be a starter. To me this is the last racial barrier in the sport, and it's finally looking like it's being taken down.

We may be seeing a trend leading towards more athletic QBs(though, as Ngata said, the elite QBs in the NFL still lean towards pocket passers, if they aren't completely pocket passers like Peyton and Brady), but their skin color really has nothing to do with it, as like I said, there are just as many(if not more) white athletic QBs in the NFL as there are black. On top of that, those athletic QBs will HAVE to develop their selves in to pocket passers eventually, like McNair did, like McNabb did, etc. Running around and getting hit does not equal a long career for a QB. So sure, their first 2 or 3 years in the NFL they'll be running around, making these great plays with their legs, but they'll eventually learn they can't make a career off that..they won't last. So they'll either develop, or they'll be pushed aside.

• Upvote 1

Mehhh... that list is not a great indicator imo. No offense of course. We dont know what Manuel has, nor Geno. Vick sucks. Freeman is pretty average. Wilson will have to show me more as well as Kaep. RGIII well he needs to stayhealthy first. And who really knows what to make of Cam Newton.

It's true that as of now no one on that list is considered an elite quarterback, but I personally feel that it will only be a matter of time. RGIII, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick in my opinion could jump into those ranks as we see Peyton, Brees, Brady, and Roethlisberger are all toward the end of their careers. Also I'm very high on Teddy Bridgewater and Tajh Boyd becoming franchise quarterbacks at the NFL level.

We may be seeing a trend leading towards more athletic QBs(though, as Ngata said, the elite QBs in the NFL still lean towards pocket passers, if they aren't completely pocket passers like Peyton and Brady), but their skin color really has nothing to do with it, as like I said, there are just as many(if not more) white athletic QBs in the NFL as there are black. On top of that, those athletic QBs will HAVE to develop their selves in to pocket passers eventually, like McNair did, like McNabb did, etc. Running around and getting hit does not equal a long career for a QB. So sure, their first 2 or 3 years in the NFL they'll be running around, making these great plays with their legs, but they'll eventually learn they can't make a career off that..they won't last. So they'll either develop, or they'll be pushed aside.

But the thing is Air that these guys already can throw! Sure their athleticism helps with a new dynamic, but nobody really doubts the arm talents of Cam Newton, RGIII, Colin Kaepernick, and Russell Wilson. These guys can make all the passes. So like I said, I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was saying only their athleticism is what go them to where they are, but these guys can all ball. Manuel and Smith we will have to see what becomes of them, but there's a reason why they were drafted early. (Or relatively early in Geno's case)

I know skin color has nothing to do with how they play the position, but like I mentioned earlier I personally feel that this was the last racial barrier in the NFL, and thankfully it looks like it's being knocked down.

But the thing is Air that these guys already can throw! Sure their athleticism helps with a new dynamic, but nobody really doubts the arm talents of Cam Newton, RGIII, Colin Kaepernick, and Russell Wilson. These guys can make all the passes. So like I said, I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was saying only their athleticism is what go them to where they are, but these guys can all ball. Manuel and Smith we will have to see what becomes of them, but there's a reason why they were drafted early. (Or relatively early in Geno's case)

I know skin color has nothing to do with how they play the position, but like I mentioned earlier I personally feel that this was the last racial barrier in the NFL, and thankfully it looks like it's being knocked down.

Josh Freeman doesn't run a lot, he never has. He's got the ability to do so, but he came in to the league with the mentality of a pocket passer. Only ran 39 times last year, and his highest total in one year is 68 in his second season. That's about what McNair and McNabb were averaging when they developed in to passers.

Vick still runs pretty often, but because of it, he can't stay healthy.

Newton still runs a lot because he has to. He's not a good enough passer yet to lead them that way. Luckily, he's a big man. His 250 pound frame can take some hits, but it will eventually wear him down if he doesn't cut his running down. He's ran 126 and 127 times in his first and second year. He won't be able to keep that up for much longer.

Kaepernick has only had 10 games started(including playoffs), but ran 88 times. That, again, is not going to cut it. That would equal out to about 140 rushing attempts over a full season. He's pretty well built, but he's still got a bit of a slender frame. We'll have to see if he can lead the 49ers to a winning season after he has to cut his rushing practically in half to get where you probably want a mobile QB to be at(around 70 rushing attempts per year).

Wilson had a lot of attempts last year, but he seemed to be a lot more cautious running. He showed vs New England, Green Bay, Dallas and Detroit that he doesn't need to take off to be successful. I think he's already making that transition to a pocket passer, and it's a good thing as well, as his small body(in relation to your average NFL QB) wouldn't be able to last. He'd be Vick all over again, as far as injuries go.

We saw what happened to RG3, don't think he needs any explanation. He's got a great arm with fantastic accuracy, and if this past year hasn't shown him he needs to keep his ass in the pocket more often, he's a lost cause anyway.

So yes, the majority of these players can pass. That doesn't mean they rely mostly on being a pocket passer when they should be, though. Most of them run far too often, and they will either learn to stop or won't make it long in the NFL.

The best QB in the league is athletic, gets out of trouble using his legs, and is white. Just saying. :D

Kaepernick is black... what? I thought he was a mulatto or a hispanic...

He totally is a mulatto.

It's true that as of now no one on that list is considered an elite quarterback, but I personally feel that it will only be a matter of time. RGIII, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick in my opinion could jump into those ranks as we see Peyton, Brees, Brady, and Roethlisberger are all toward the end of their careers. Also I'm very high on Teddy Bridgewater and Tajh Boyd becoming franchise quarterbacks at the NFL level.

I love me some draft talk, but QB's are really the only positions I dont like to touch really. They are way to hard to tell who is going to be good. I will grant you it looks like Bridgewater shall be a force, but I am not clairvoyant so I dont know if the freshman of today willbe the all pros in 5.

I wont lie this topic has me all sorts of fucked up because I am not sure what I am trying to argue here. It is not like I think one race is prone to better quarterbacks or anything. I guess simply put, I think the QB position will have stars of all ethnic backgrounds (mexicans step your game up because well....Sanchez sucks :p ) at the same time.

Dominique Davis will never be a starter in the NFL. A quality backup, possible for sure. But he's not going to be a starter in this league.

I don't know why it matters, everyone wants to talk about wanting equality, but then we have the media and fans making threads like this. On the note of the thread though, no, I don't think so.

People put too much emphasis on skin color in situations like this. All I care about is how well-behaved/active in a community a player is, and his skill level. I wouldn't give a flying fuck if Adrian Peterson actually turned out to be a resurrected Christian deity with purple skin.

• Upvote 1

People put too much emphasis on skin color in situations like this. All I care about is how well-behaved/active in a community a player is, and his skill level. I wouldn't give a flying fuck if Adrian Peterson actually turned out to be a resurrected Christian deity with purple skin.

Well that's a good thing, because he is.

Kaepernick is black... what? I thought he was a mulatto or a hispanic...

He totally is a mulatto.

He is.

Edited by Bay

Freeman is not black, he is mixed.

The best QB in the league is athletic, gets out of trouble using his legs, and is white. Just saying. :D

Yup.

I wouldn't rate any of those guys a top-5 NFL QB, so in short, no. Highly athletic QB's that run the ball the instant they see a chance are great for fantasy points and winning a few games, but without a great defense they will always fall short of winning the Lombardi. The best yards come in the air. I don't personally ever want my team to have a QB that's known more for their running ability than they are their throwing ability.

• Upvote 1

Oh man, where's ATL when you need him...

Tony Romo is hispanic, my friend.

Oh boy...

Yeah Fart, this one came out the wrong way buddy :rofl:

Since we're already here, does anyone know if the Jags are the only team to only have black QBs on the roster like they did for 3-4 years with Leftwich, Garrard, and Gray? Seems like that might be the only team to ever have that. Too bad they were only average to horrible. :(

Bridgewater 2014.

The Associated Press' Mark Long called Wednesday's OTAs session the "worst day of quarterback play I've witnessed at Jaguars practice in years." Long's assessment comes one day after he observed Blaine Gabbert "(continuing) to struggle with short passes." In Gabbert's defense, the Jags are installing a new system, but the fact that he still can't even light up practice more than two years after being the No. 10 overall pick is a troubling sign. We'd suspect the Jags pull the plug on the Gabbert experiment early this season, with an eye toward finding his "successor" in the 2014 draft.

According to Yahoo Sports, Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell plans to spend "much of the year" evaluating quarterbacks in the 2014 class, including Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Clemson's Tajh Boyd. Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, the Jaguars were "privately" thrilled the Bills and Jets drafted quarterbacks in the first two rounds because that likely takes them out of the market for next year's top signal callers. Jacksonville and Cleveland are left as the likeliest quarterback-needy teams for 2014. The Jags will give Blaine Gabbert one more year to prove he's not a viable solution. (He will.)

:devious:

Yeah I don't see why it matters what skin color the QB is.

• Upvote 1

Oh boy...

Yeah Fart, this one came out the wrong way buddy :rofl:

Haha yeah I'm starting to realize that! The whole "White QB minority" thing wasn't the best way of going about it! :laugh:

My original intention wasn't to compare black vs. white, but more just to point out that it's good to see black quarterbacks making more of a presence in the NFL compared to years past when most were never given a real chance. For example, Warren Moon having to prove himself in the CFL primarily because of the color of his skin.

Yeah I don't see why it matters what skin color the QB is.

Obvious statement is obvious.

A lot of black athletes are starting to get drawn to the QB position. Skin color doesn't matter, blah blah blah, but it's clear that when black athletes see black QBs succeed more and more, they start seeing themselves in that position.

When I was in high school we had 7 QBs and they were all white, the amount of black students at the high school hasn't really changed, but I went to my little brother's practice and I saw like 5,6 black QBs. I think it's very likely that in a few years, the majority of starting QBs could be black.

Whether or not that actually matters is a different subject imo.

I had to laugh since I joked with a friend of mine after the draft that we seem to love white players in Indy. :rofl:

Last years top 2 picks? Andrew Luck and Coby Fleener.

No second rounder this year but our first rounder was another white guy, Bjoern Werner.

:corn:

Edited by Jules