Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Dynasty of the 10's?

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be the dynasty of the 10's?

• Giants
    • Packers
    • Ravens
    • Falcons
    • Rams
    • 49ers
    • Bengals
    • Bucs
    • Lions
    • Panthers
    • Other

Currently we have three teams who have won a championship this decade, the Packers, Giants and Ravens (if we're counting the 2010 season as the start of the decade and not the 2011 season. So thinking about it, the 60's Packers, the 70's Steelers, the 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys, and 00's Patriots, what did they have in common? They may not have had the best QB of the decade, but they had a clutch one who played their best games in the playoffs. These QB's (Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman and Brady), were drafted either right before the decade or right when it started, (1956, 1970, 1979, 1989, 2000), with Starr being the lone exception. So if we go from that, the best chance for a dynasty comes from teams that drafted starting QB's in 2009 or 2010. Because those drafts were terrible for QB's, I'm expanding the list to players drafted in 2008 and 2011. Although no dynasty QB was drafted after the first year of the decade, 2007 was terrible and not worth including. I'm also sticking to QB's who are still with the team who drafted them.

That returns a very small list, but it'll set a good baseline.

Giants (1 Championship) Eli Manning 2004

Packers (1 Championship) Aaron Rodgers 2005

Ravens (1 Championship) Joe Flacco 2008

Falcons Matt Ryan 2008

Lions Matt Stafford 2009

Bucs Josh Freeman 2009

Jets Mark Sanchez 2009

Rams Sam Bradford 2010

---

Panthers Cam Newton 2011

Titans Jake Locker 2011

Jags Blaine Gabbert 2011

Vikings Christian Ponder 2011

Bengals Andy Dalton 2011

49ers Colin Kaepernick 2011

Patriots Ryan Mallett 2011

Texans T.J. Yates 2011

Ravens Tyrod Taylor 2011

Jets Greg McElroy 2011

Many of the 2011 names are backups or terrible and probably shouldn't be taken seriously. Getting rid of the guys who probably don't belong while being generous, my short list for teams with the best shot of hitting dynasty status this decade are:

Giants

Packers

Ravens

Falcons

49ers

Rams

Bengals

Bucs

Lions

Panthers

Which team do you think comes out on top? I feel like the Ravens have the biggest edge, clutch playoff Qb with a young talented team. When they get to the playoffs they win at least one game.... They have a lot going for them, and fit the QB trend better than Eli or Rodgers.

With how stacked the 49ers and Seahawks are, I could see one of them being a dynasty.

I see the Packers winning at least 2 more before this decade is over. They're always up top.

Prepare for a wall of text (if you choose to read it) because I will state my case for the Ravens.

Ok so no shit there we were in 2013 with one of the youngest rosters in the league so I will hit the points that I think bear relevancy to us winning multiple SB's.

Joe Flacco. Yes I know there is his inconsistent regular season play and I would love to sit here and tell you that that is remedied now and the star has arrived. I cant however. What I can tell you though is I dont think it is the least bit of a coincidence that Cam Cameron gets fired and our offense reaches astronomical heights. NOBODY EVER has had the success Flacco has had. People will point to Montana which is a very valid point. To this I will say though, Where the hell was Flacco's Jerry Rice ? He did that with number 2 and 3 receivers across the board. It was incredible. For those who want to pin that on Boldin I would like to point out that Boldin only accounted for a third of the receiving total in that run. Also Flacco put the Ball in places where only his guy could get it. He has everything in the world you want to see out of a franchise guy.

Joe Flacco's Contract and others.. I will say definitively he is not worth it. OK I get it. No player is. That being said what were we going to do. Would you have cut a guy who seriously had a FLAWLESS post season run ? No you would not. So laugh at the Ravens if you must but knnow damn well if your QB just did that you would be in the same spot ponying up the cash. Second, he will restructure. HE has already said if he does not live up to expectations that he wants to be a Raven his whole career and would take an extension that spreads that money out to a much more manageable cap figure. Even if he decides not to. This is the year where Suggs is on his last leg as far as contracts and his 14 mil cap hit will not work for us and he knows he wont command much more on the open market so we will get breathing room next year. We also have rookies under contract for 4 years who are going to be some very solid contributors in years to come who will be had for very cheap.

Ozzie Newsome Probably the most important part of building a dynasty. I think there is no one better. Call it bias but look what he has done. People in February said we were going to be lucky to win 8 games. Now people have saw what he an do. We went from a team with a ravaged roster to improvements everywhere for less money. He has found FA's who will be more productive than their predecessors and for cheaper. We actually have much more cap than we did to start with and have gotten better. And please name me a GM who can draft as well as Ozzie can as consistently. Dont worry I will wait.

Bernard Pierce The Ravens have never gone without in the run game. Ray Rice was a great find in the second round and so was Pierce in the 3rd we will be set at this position for a long time and it will be on the cheap.

Defensive Line. I dont think people realize how loaded the ravens are at this position. They see Haloti and think that is the end of our talent there. Well we have brought in some veterans only to buy time. Kaprone Lewis Moore was supposed to be one of the best D lineman in the daft and blew his knee out in the NC, now we got him for almost nothing and we can afford to let him sit and develop. Art Jones and Pernell McPhee are almost criminally underrated because these guys have developed for two years and they are kicking ass and taking names and this year one of them is going to blossom into a star.

Linebackers. This is a spot that will be addressed again next year. We got our ILB of the future in Art Brown who I think will make multiple pro bowls. Darly SMith is an excellent stop gap so we can find someone again next year. As far as OLB's we can get 2 more years out of suggs and probably 4 out of Doom. We have already adressed this a little with John Simon who I think can be a solid guy when one of them hangs it up or gets plucked. So next year I am looking for another prospect to continue to rebuild this position.

Secondary We have a top 5 corner already. One who has all the physical tools in the world to be a shutdown corner who just need to take that last step. If Jimmy Smith pans out we are most definitely set at this position for a long time. A guy nobody talks about is Chykie Brown who I love when he does play. The kid plays fast and smart but was buried on the depth chart. I think this year he gets his shot and makes us glad we drafted him. Our safeties are also on the up and up although I would not be surpriswed to see us go to the well early at FS next year either and let him sit behind Micheal Huff.

WR's This is the one everybody is worried about and rightfully so. It could be homerism, optimism, or I have just followed it more than anyone else. However I would like to point out that the posituion is brimming with potential. Now will that mean they turn into anything, not not really but if they do it couldbe an unholy trio and people dont know it yet. Streeter being 6'5" and a 4.38 to 4.4 guy who is solid built could be a nightmare if he can realize his potential. Deonte Thompson could also be a guy who jsut goes on a tear. He runs legit 4.2's and had very good hands. Tandon Doss is a guy who has great hand and great routes but no top end speed really. Aaron Mellette is like an unpolished Boldin. Stronger than hell, great routes, and pretty damn good hands. Now I kn ow this is putting a lot of pressure on them, but I am thankful that we are finally giving our young players a shot to step up and see what we have for once.

All in all I think that our contracts are going to line up perfectly and Ozzie will continue to reload a talented roster and keep the cap under control by not overplaying players with one year of success and go for sustainable long term success through the draft and quality FA's at a bargain price. I think the stability in our coaching staff will allow these players to develop into what they could be as well. I think we have plenty of young talent who is going to contribute immediately to the success of the team and next year we can really put the final touches on a roster that is already looking really young and really good. Who knows Ozzie might actually go for flash in the next few years and find flacco that All Pro WR.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

I know this will come off extremely homerish, which is why I don't want to give a massive wall of text... I would love to explain if somebody wanted me to though.

The Packers, without a doubt. If we don't win AT LEAST one more title, and I am hoping for 2-3 more, Mike McCarthy has failed the Packers. We have arguably the greatest player in the league today... One of the greatest QBs, statistically anyway, of all time. Winning 1 Super Bowl, as amazing as it was, would be a huge huge disappointment.

I was expecting to win another one already, to be quite honest. :dry:

49ers.

The best regular season defense in the NFL, and pretty good weapons for CK on offense, as well as a tremendous offensive line. Although I don't think they will get it done this year with Crabtree's injury. They should get into the playoffs though, and then who knows what happens. As we saw in the Green Bay Divisional Round game, CK is one of the most dangerous and explosive players in the league.

Edited by BradyFan81

Since everyone else is doing it...

:Steelers:

Not that I truly believe that the Steelers will be a dynasty, but here is why they could: Ben Roethlisberger and their defense.

The Steelers have been in the top 10 defenses every year since 1999 when they were 11th. They have had the 1st ranked defense the past two seasons and four of the last six years, including a 2nd and 5th ranked defense in that span. No matter the turnover, this team finds a way to put a great defense on the field year in and year out.

As for Ben, he is hitting his 30's, the age when most quarterbacks hit their stride and really start to put up the big numbers. Montana won his first two Super Bowls as a young quarterback, much like Ben. His last two Super Bowls and only two League MVPs came when he was 32-34. Elway lost three Super Bowls in his 20's before finally winning two when he was 37 and 38. Ben is 31. Steve Young is also comparable and I'd actually take Ben over Young at this point. (When I have more time I will expand the following spreadsheet and eventually rank my top All-Time QBs.)

To further the comparisons, let's compare careers. Montana, Elway, and Ben's career stats are as follows:

montanaelwayben.png

As you can see, Ben fares well when matched up with two of the greatest QBs ever. It also shows that his injury concerns are a bit overblown.

Ben, a quarterback that's been neglected for much of his career, has a young and improving offensive line with loads of potential with two 1st and two 2nd round picks invested in the past few years, which should see him injured less as he continues to develop as an elite passer.

Ben was playing MVP-caliber football until he was injured last year for three games. With an improving OL, OL coach, and zone scheme better suited for their more agile players, Ben should see definite improvement in protection in the coming seasons.

Elite QB + Elite defense = Championship teams

The Steelers may have been 8-8 last season, but they were riddled with injuries through the entire year and they lost five of eight by 3 points, and one each by 6, 10, and 12 points. This team is a year removed from a 12-4 record and two years removed from a 6 point Super Bowl loss in another 12-4 season.

Like JD said, I'm expecting at least one more ring before Ben retires, or I'll consider it a failure.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

My rankings would be

1. Ravens

2. Packers

3. Steelers

4. Giants

5. Rams

The most important thing to having a team that will compete year over year is a smart front office. These teams consistently make the best personel decisions year over year not relying on catching lightning in a bottle. Next they have a strong consistent head coach. All of these teams head coaches are the class of the nfl. Next you need a franchise qb who will be in his prime for most of the decade. Next you need a solid mix of veteran and young talent.ost importantly starting in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Thes teams fit these 4 criteria the best in my opinion.

Since everyone is doing it....... :p

The Colts. Wait, watch and learn. It's coming...... :panic:

While everyone is drooling over the NFC some AFC team with a bright talented young QB is going to nail bitches to the wall in the coming years.

In reality a dynasty is hard to do/predict. It's tough to get back to the Super Bowl let alone with one these days.....

Edited by Jules

Fuck, I hope it's Atlanta.

I don't think it will be, but if Matt Ryan can somehow step up into another level, then I think we'll be good to go.

Our FO does a decent job of plugging in FA vets where and when needed.

We have a lot of youth with a mountain of potential.

Our new OC & DC look to be excellent additions for us and in developing/using our talent effectively.

We'll see, though.

Does there have to be a dynasty? I mean to me you need to win three championships within a certain amount of time with a certain nucleus of coaching or players to be a dynasty and I'm not sure I see any team winning three Super Bowl's in this decade.

No team will be. Too much parity in the league. Hell, six of the last eight superbowl champions came out of the wildcard round. 5 of those 6 didn't even win their division that year.

Guest Phailadelphia

Cowboys - 2 Super Bowls in the '70s

3 Super Bowls in the '90s

4 Super Bowls in the '10s?

Every other decade. THIS IS DEFINITELY A TREND AND NOT MERE COINCIDENCE. BE AFRAID, NFL. JERRUH IS COMING FOR UR RINGZZZZ

No team will be. Too much parity in the league. Hell, six of the last eight superbowl champions came out of the wildcard round. 5 of those 6 didn't even win their division that year.

kigeagreekk7.jpg

I think it's gonna be ATL.

I like your style. I could see it happening if our young talent pool lives up to their lofty expectations.

lmao at three users. I'm sorry, no one could have seen it coming.

damn, the 2010 QB draft class sucked, five seasons later, out of 14 QBs drafted none are still with the team that drafted them, by my count three are currently on any team (we are early in free agency, so others may sign) and only one has a realistic shot at a starting spot

Clearly gonna be the Bucs once we draft Winston.

Clearly gonna be the Bucs once we draft Winston.

Not gonna lie, the idea of Winston throwing to Evans, VJax, and ASJ is very exciting to me. Really it is the most excited I have been for the Bucs in 10+ years.