moocao

Current player in the league that would be best coach

What current player in the league right now would you take as a coach in 2014 and why?

I'll start with the obvious. Peyton fucking Manning. Dude's a genius. He probably knows just as much about defenses as he does offenses. Obviously he may have a bit of trouble conveying said knowledge to his players, but I think he is arguably the greatest mental QB of all time.

Who you got?

London Fletcher. You didn't state in what type of coaching capacity but London Fletcher would definitely be great in some capacity on the defensive side of the ball. He would make an outstanding Linebackers coach.

• Upvote 2

Drew Brees. He is a great leader and I would think the offense he runs would be similar to what he does now.

Peyton Manning already has a ton of coaching experience.

Had this thread been for last year and just a couple of months ago I could have told you two guys.

Ray Lewis and Ronde Barber. Seeing as they are retired though I will have to go with.

Matt Hasselbeck

Tamba Hali

Tom Brady

Charles Woodson

Steve Smith (Car)

Cortland Finnegan (It hurts to say but I think he would be a good coach)

Karlos Dansby

Lardarius Webb

James Harrison

Sometimes the best players don't make the best coaches. Sure Peyton runs his team, but I don't want him coaching my squad. Choke may be contagious. He's also completely immune and inept when it comes to grooming backups, which is a huge turnoff. If he can't even manage the guys behind him on the depth chart, I don't want him in charge of the entire depth chart.

• Upvote 2

Head Coach - Patrick Willis

Defensive Coordinator - Champ Bailey

Offensive Coordinator - Tony Gonzalez

Sometimes the best players don't make the best coaches. Sure Peyton runs his team, but I don't want him coaching my squad. Choke may be contagious. He's also completely immune and inept when it comes to grooming backups, which is a huge turnoff. If he can't even manage the guys behind him on the depth chart, I don't want him in charge of the entire depth chart.

This pretty much sums up what I was gonna say about the "obvious" choices.

Rarely do top QBs become coaches because like someone said earlier they aren't the best at passing on their knowledge. As a coach I can say that teaching is the most important attribute that is required to make a successful coach and most of these players don't have that background or personality.

As for someone that would make a good head coach I would have to look to the offensive line and go with Andrew Witworth or Jeff Saturday

Edited by butta55

Agreed with pretty much everyone. I'll throw some names out that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Nick Mangold

Marshall Yanda

Takeo Spikes

Mike Vrabel

Vrabel has been out a couple years and already is coaching

I was going to say something very similar, usually the players who make the best coaches are the guys who didn't have the most raw talent because they had to really understand the game in order to leave their mark while the guys who were able to rely on natural ability will have a lot more trouble teaching technique, and even for the guys who are great technique-wise there's a huge difference between knowing a skill and being able to teach it

having said all of that, I have no clue what players have that ability to teach their trade, but I think it's interesting that Ngata mentioned Innegan, the guy's made his whole career out of being feisty and picking at opposing receivers, I'm not sure that's an approach I would want a coach taking

• Upvote 1

IDK! I guess I would say none of them. I have to agree with Favre4ever,Butta55 and oochymp. It's so rare that great players make for great coaches. The great coaches who have been former players were usually fringe players that did not have the athletic ability that their colleagues had but made up for it with a great understanding of the game. Lets see...the two most successful great NFL players that became head coaches in the last 50 years would have to be Mike Ditka and Art Shell. And Mike Singletary comes to mind as terrible coach, great player! But I'm sure theres a few others that I just cant think of right now. But you just can't really predict stuff like this accurately. :shrug:

How about Ryan Clark?

How about Ryan Clark?

From what I've seen, Ryan Clark does comes off as very intelligent and it's very clear that he knows the game. Possibly a defensive back coach :shrug:

Weren't both harbaugh brothers quarterbacks?

Weren't both harbaugh brothers quarterbacks?

No. John played DB in college. Don't know about high school though. Doubt it.

I know jim played quarterback though in the nfl

John never played in the NFL. :nope:

Yeah 90% of coaching is people skills and knowing how to manage a variety of differing personalities while getting the best out of everyone. Actual ability in the game doesn't really have much to do with it. They need to understand the intricacies of the game and how to apply them to an overall scheme, but they don't need to be physically great at it. And it's about more than just being a "leader". Which is why truly great coaches are far and few between.

• Upvote 1

Yeah 90% of coaching is people skills and knowing how to manage a variety of differing personalities while getting the best out of everyone. Actual ability in the game doesn't really have much to do with it. They need to understand the intricacies of the game and how to apply them to an overall scheme, but they don't need to be physically great at it. And it's about more than just being a "leader". Which is why truly great coaches are far and few between.

Nailed it. Also Just because someone was great at the game doesn't mean they are good are relaying their wisdom/information to other people. But Ranga pretty much nailed it.

Yes he did. What point are you trying to make?

Yes he did. What point are you trying to make?

Players that turned out to be good coaches.

Russell Wilson will make a hell of a coach way down the line when he's done playing football. He's a leader of men.

Russell Wilson will make a hell of a coach way down the line when he's done playing football. He's a leader of men.

Lol, such a homer pick. There's no way anyone can proclaim a rookie to be a coach one day. Too soon, too soon. :facepalm:

Edited by dutchff7