Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Riley Cooper and the Questions Surrounding

11 members have voted

1. 1. Has the Riley Cooper scrutiny gotten out of hand?

• Yes. He's paid his dues and offered his apology. People should back off.
    • Maybe. It's hard to know where the line should be drawn in a situation like this.
    • I don't think so. He said something stupid and should have to deal with it.
    • Not at all. We need to set extreme examples or things like this will continue to happen.
  2. 2. Is the fact that Riley Cooper is a role player adding to the hatred felt toward him, now?

• Absolutely. If he were a more popular figure, more people would want to give him a second chance.
    • Potentially, but how do you gauge something like that without parameters?
    • Probably not. I think it's likely that the backlash would have been equal.
    • Hell no. It'd be the same had a high profile white athlete made this comment.

While I don't think racism should be tolerated, I firmly believe that Riley Cooper is facing far too much scrutiny. People are condemning him as if this one action defines his character for the rest of his life, and I refuse to believe that, mostly because I know that I either have done something just as bad or will at some point in my life, because people make mistakes. I would want to be forgiven, to be given the chance to right what I've wronged, and I think Riley Cooper should be given that same chance.

There are several questions surrounding this situation that have been bothering me of late. First and foremost, as the first poll has asked, has the scrutiny gotten out of hand? Are we giving this guy a raw deal for simply saying a word? I personally think so, mostly because it seems as though people are unwilling to give him a chance to redeem himself. We are all flawed. We will all do something that bad or worse in our lifetimes, and I think it's time to worry about the flaws we see in the mirror more so than in others.

Riley Cooper has been scrutinized more than Josh Brent, than Donte Stallworth, than Leonard Little. Is there not something wrong with that picture?

Secondly, wouldn't it be fair to say that if Riley Cooper was a higher profile athlete, he'd be given a second chance, and much quicker? I think so. Because he doesn't have much impact for the Eagles, there isn't a large group of people who are attached to his success and well being. With nobody invested in his successes, nobody's willing to give him a second chance. I think that's absurd.

At some point, we need to see when something has become ridiculous, and as soon as Cooper was sent to counseling, I think we could have drawn that line.

What are your thoughts?

This is not meant to be incendiary, so I'd like to keep it civil and I don't think I've posed these questions in a way that should agitate anybody.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Did we really need another one of these threads? People add to the scrutiny by feeding topics and keeping them alive. Another person in the world with an ill-based opinion or action that occurred while he was intoxicated. The dude doesn't even start and shouldn't be warranting this much attention.

Honestly, this thing is way too overblown then it ever should have been to begin with imo. Media just looks for something to talk about and this was perfect.

Edited by Jay24
  • Upvote 1

Nature is running its course. He decided to get drunk and use the most sensitive word in the language. Without a natural public justice system like this in place, there'd be no incentive to watch what you say. He chose a spotlight type of career and then fucked up.

• Upvote 1

If this situation did not happen he would probably still be cut or about to be as he is. Just a special teamer.

With Maclin hurt, Cooper was set to start as the Eagles second receiver. Now... he'll be cut because the Eagles don't have his back, they don't want to support him. The Eagles receiving corp is scarce when you knock him out of the group as well. Does Arrelious Benn or Greg Salas step up? Damaris Johnson? One of the many UDFA's they picked up? Forgive the man. He obviously regrets what he did, the backlash he's received is more than what is justifiable and he'll be coming back hungry to redeem himself. And the number of PI calls the Eagles will get will be through the roof if they keep him on.

I don't think that Riley gets cut. JMHO.

Also ... You could have just posted this in the original thread, Bware.

Edited by BLUE

I think its been talked about more than Stallworth or Brent because those situations are easy. Drinking and driving and killing someone is bad. Theres not much more to it. This has the issue of whether he really meant it, and the teammate's reactions (those other two had to take at least a year off anyways).

IMO he was drunk and let something out that he shouldn't. It was a bad thing of him to do, and I'd bet he probably is kinda racist, but he can change if he really feels bad about it,

Riley Cooper is back with the Eagles

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/6/4594044/riley-cooper-is-back-with-the-eagles

After being away from the team after just four days with an excused absence in the wake of the "the video," Riley Cooper will practice today.

The following statement has been released to the media via the Eagles:

"Riley Cooper has returned from his excused absence this morning and id scheduled to practice with the team today. He will be available to the media afterwards."

Wow. That didn't take long.

It appears the situation is resolved unless anything else arises.

I don't think that Riley gets cut. JMHO.

with Benn now out in addition to Maclin, I don't think the Eagles can afford to release Riley, they're just too thin at the position

I feel this is worth a bump because Riley Cooper and Cary Williams got into a nice fight today at practice. Michael Vick was among those who had to restrain Williams, who shouted, "I'm not a n****r you mess with!"

Ah, the good old double standard for the n-word. Also, Williams refused to talk to the press after practice.

Cary better watch out for when Riley comes back drunk.

Also Cary is a thug and should be kicked out of the NFL for that shove he put on the ref in the SB.

Edited by Bucman

lol During a game week no less. This is good for the rest of the NFL to know what this year's Eagles are all about.

Would rather throw down with their own teammates than let bygones be bygones.

I'd cut Williams if I were Coach Kelly, IT'S FUCKING GAME WEEK DUMBASS. Jesus.

Did Cooper beat his ass? I'd find that wonderfully fitting, considering that Williams was being a punk for no reason. Get. Over. It. The guy's done everything he possibly could to apologize, and it's clear that the incident was out of character.

lol During a game week no less. This is good for the rest of the NFL to know what this year's Eagles are all about.

Would rather throw down with their own teammates than let bygones be bygones.

I'd cut Williams if I were Coach Kelly, IT'S FUCKING GAME WEEK DUMBASS. Jesus.

Something tells me they would have cut Cooper if Maclin didn't get hurt.

Guest Phailadelphia

Something tells me they would have cut Cooper if Maclin didn't get hurt.

Same. I don't think he's going be an Eagle beyond the '13-'14 season.

Really glad Williams is some other teams problem now. He did not really act out much while on the Ravens until the SB week. He left at just the right time.