Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: NFL moves PATs back to 15-yard line

I want the NFL back before Goodell was commissioner. Destroying the game one day at a time.

I actually think the 35 yard line thing has made KRs more fun to watch, because only the elite returners consistently run it out of the endzone. Dumb young players do once or twice but quit after they get tackled at the 12-15 yard line a bunch of times.

To me, it's better now than it was from the 30 yard line. Every returner ran it back constantly, and most of the time it was a snoozefest play because it would come out to the 15-25 yard line.

I'm for abolishing XPs if there have consistently been season ending injuries on those plays. And I mean injuries, not one or two over 5 years.

The proposal as laid out isn't As good as one that gives more incentive for teams to go for two.

Should it happen this wouldn't be the first time a league would have no PAT kicks. The NFL experimented with that in the 1968 preseason as did the fourth American Football League.

The defunct World Football League from 1974-75 revived the rule as follows:

-Touchdowns were worth 7 points, instead of 6.

-Conversions were called "Action Points" and could only be scored via a run or pass play (as opposed to by kick as in other football leagues), and were worth one point. The ball was placed on the two-and-a-half -yard line for an Action Point.

The XFL employed a similar rule for its only season in 2001, the difference being that you could go for two or three points by playing the conversion further back from the line.

Edited by BigBen07

Thinking about it more, I like the automatic point that the extra point provides. Makes for more interesting strategy and makes it easier to expose incompetence.

Something nobody has mentioned is that individual player point records would be eternally fucked from here on out. The only thing kickers have is their names at the top of "points scored" lists.

And field goal statistics :troll:

And field goal statistics :troll:

it would be a huge game changer for fantasy

if the 'problem' is that the extra point has become effectively automatic is the best solution really to make it actually automatic? why not make the extra point a 35 yard field goal (instead of the current 19 yarder) with the option to start at the 2 if you want to do a traditional two point conversion? I think almost every kicker is above 80% in the 30-39 yard range and most are over 85%, so extra points would still generally be made, but they wouldn't be nearly automatic

If they have to change it, I subscribe to oochy's thinking. Just make the XP a 35 or 40 yard field goal, and keep the same standard two point conversion setup. It doesn't have to be as drastic as a change like the one Roger Goodell first mentioned. That shit just sounds retarded.

if the 'problem' is that the extra point has become effectively automatic is the best solution really to make it actually automatic? why not make the extra point a 35 yard field goal (instead of the current 19 yarder) with the option to start at the 2 if you want to do a traditional two point conversion? I think almost every kicker is above 80% in the 30-39 yard range and most are over 85%, so extra points would still generally be made, but they wouldn't be nearly automatic

If they have to change it, I subscribe to oochy's thinking. Just make the XP a 35 or 40 yard field goal, and keep the same standard two point conversion setup. It doesn't have to be as drastic as a change like the one Roger Goodell first mentioned. That shit just sounds retarded.

I think 35 or 40 is a bit much. Would say no more than 30. It's only worth 1 point after all. I do think moving it back a touch is the right way to go though.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports modifying or eliminating the extra point remains a "long way off."

Commissioner Roger Goodell revealed last month that the PAT could eventually be abolished, but as with most major changes, it's not going to happen overnight. Per Rapsheet, one possibility is making PATs longer, while another is automatically awarding seven points and allowing teams the option of a two-point conversion. The latter proposal would strip the automatic seventh point if teams failed to convert. The extra point is a wholly meaningless play at the professional level. It needs to be updated or removed.

That's good to hear. A few weeks ago I didn't really care but now I really want it to stay.

@owners/Goodell Stop fucking with the game, you stupid fucks, it is perfect

NFL.com reports the league's competition committee has discussed a proposal that would move extra-point attempts from the two- to 25-yard line.

That means PATs would go from 19 to 42 yards in length. Kickers converted 1,262-of-1,267 extra-point attempts last season, good for a staggering 99.6 conversion rate. The play has become so automatic as to be pointless. Making PATs longer would place a greater emphasis on finding and keeping good kickers, as well as encourage more two-point conversion attempts. Although we're on board with modifying the extra point, automatically awarding seven points and reverting to six if a team fails on a two-point conversion may make more sense.
Source: NFL.com

Hey Goodell, as long as you are abolishing things, why don't you go right ahead and abolish yourself.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Extra-point attempts have been moved from the two- to 15-yard line, though two-point conversions will continue to take place from the two-yard line.
That means PATs will now be 33 yards instead of 20. It's a drastic change, not one everyone was necessarily asking for. There will now be big games decided by missed extra points. The league also implemented another rule change, awarding two points for botched PATs or two-point conversions that are returned for a score by the defense. That rule was already employed by the NCAA. May 19 - 6:10 PM

Really.

I actually really like this rule change.

What problems do you have with it? Also don't answer with, "Ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm not buying any of that.