Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

49ers extend Colin Kaepernick

Per Rotoworld.com:

49ers signed QB Colin Kaepernick to a six-year, $126 million contract extension through 2020.
It includes $61 million guaranteed. Bay Area Sports Guy had it first before NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed the money portion. Kaepernick gets $21 million annually in new money and sets the new quarterback record for guaranteed money, surpassing Peyton Manning by $3 million and Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler by $7 million. The former second-round pick was entering the final year of his rookie deal. The 49ers have been one of the most run-heavy teams in recent years. After the addition of Stevie Johnson, Michael Crabtree's return to 100 percent health, and Frank Gore's age, we expect coach Jim Harbaugh to open up the offense more in 2014. Kaepernick is currently Rotoworld's No. 13 quarterback heading into the season, but a top-six finish isn't out of the question. He's primed to explode. Jun 4 - 3:58 PM

bust.gif

• Upvote 1

He should be sending a nice thank you note to Green Bay, because it's their sub-standard defense that he shredded which remains pretty much the sole reason he got this deal to begin with...

• Upvote 1

Good thing the cap is going up because Wilson is about to get paid next year lol i am hoping he takes a discount but i doubt it.

And there goes the franchise for 6 years.

Remember that article two months ago when he asked for $18 mil a year and we all laughed? He got $21. :rofl:

• Upvote 1

Imagine if the 49ers would of won the Super Bowl two years ago. Good Lord.

Not at all surprised, or care too much for the deal itself as its just the going rate now for QBs, but it is interesting that one of the teams in the NFL that passes the least, would sign a QB to this kinda deal.

Cam Newton is probably going to break the bank too.

• Upvote 1

:rofl:

Enjoy your inconsistent quarterback play until 2020, San Fran, and say goodbye to your Super Bowl chances barring a Trent Dilfer-esque scenario where the other 52 carry 1.

Jennifer Lawrence has a Gif for literally everything.

tumblr_n5so02U5SC1r7m90oo1_250.gif

• Upvote 2

Kaepernick isn't even a top 15 quarterback. This is absurd.

So he makes more then A. Rodgers? And Peyton Manning? What has he done to deserve so much real shit? I understand they went to the super bowl once and almost again last year. But not soley because of Kap.. He tore the Packers up but thats about it. Hes a solid player but not 20 a year. I wouldnt even pay Wilson that.

No. It's still fucking stupid to pay a QB who's done nothing and isn't even in the top 15 at his position that kind of money.

There is no way to justify the means here. I don't give a damn if he does get 2 SB wins, he is not the reason why the 49ers have had success over the past few years.

Fucking Dumb.

Hey, let's pay our bottom 15 quarterback like a top 5 quarterback. Sounds logical.

Oh, and let's continually try to fire the coach who's made us relevant again.

#49erFrontOfficeLogic

• Upvote 1

The 49ers can also cut ties with Kaep anytime during this deal if they are unhappy with his performance. So not a bad deal as what people make it out to be.

• Upvote 1

The 49ers can also cut ties with Kaep anytime during this deal if they are unhappy with his performance. So not a bad deal as what people make it out to be.

Can they be happy with his play if he's not a top 10 QB, because that's how it's going to be. The guy isn't that good the instant you take away his ability to run.

I guess I'm a fan of this move. I think he's an overrated douche, but he's the type of playmaker that can win games singlehandedly (to an extent obv) because he's so dynamic. We've seen him do it in the playoffs.

I'll be interested to see how he does in the regular season this year. IIRC last year's stats weren't anything to look twice at.

this essentially locks Kaepernick into six one year deals at the discretion of the 49ers and what's really become the going rate for good QBs, this looks like a great deal for the team to me