Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Rashard Mendenhall raises eyebrows with bin Laden tweets

Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2011, 9:34 PM EDT

Several of you have pointed out to us some potentially controversial messages appearing today on the Twitter account of Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall.

Though it’s not a verified account, it’s being followed by other Steelers, including safety Troy Polamalu, center Maurkice Pouncey. Also, Mendenhall’s account attracted attention in March, when he supported Vikings running back Adrian Peterson’s comparison of pro football to slavery.

This time around, Mendenhall is offering opinions regarding the death of Osama bin Laden, and questioning whether the planes that hit the World Trade Center caused the collapse of the twin towers.

“We’ll never know what really happened,†Mendenhall said. “I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style.â€

Mendenhall also expresses sympathy for bin Laden. “What kind of person celebrates death?†Mendenhall says. “It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side.â€

But what would the other side have been? Bin Laden admits to masterminding and funding the plot; he has bragged about it. He’s not entitled to the presumption of innocence after admitting guilt.

We fully believe in free speech. Mendenhall has the right to say whatever he wants. But others also have the right to react to what he says. And given that he plays for a team headquartered near the location of the crash of United 93 and that the Steelers will be playing on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in Baltimore, not all that far from where another plane crashed into the Pentagon, we’ve got a feeling that more than a few folks will be exercising their free speech rights when Mendenhall comes out onto the field.

UPDATE: Actually, it is a verified account. Well, there goes any chance he had of coming up with an excuse. Unless he plans to claim someone hacked into his account.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Don't forget Mendenhall was among the first to back up Adrian Peterson's comparison of football to slavery. Fuck this guy. Just keep your mouth shut, man.

• Downvote 1

He's just a brother in a sister's world.

I don't mind the comment about the towers. Plenty of people believe in conspiracy thoeries. Also can understand his comment about people celebrating death. However, he losses any chance of sounding reasonable when he says we don't know both sides. Are you kidding me dude? Do you watch the fucking news?

• Upvote 2

He's said some stupid shit ever since signing up for Twitter to be honest. I wasn't even surprised.

He was going ok.. but then he the idiot spewed out of him :facepalm:

Mendenhall also expresses sympathy for bin Laden. “What kind of person celebrates death?†Mendenhall says. “It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak.

Maybe because he's the cause of THOUSANDS of American deaths, and THOUSANDS more all around the world. I'm sure if Mendenhall had a family member killed in one of this guys orchestrated attacks he'd hate the man too. People are such fucking hypocrites when they aren't affected by something.

LOLWUT. I swear I have officially lost all respect for this man.

Edited by Shotgun

Mendy might not be the brightest but he sho can play football. :laugh:

What a dumbass. This guy should never be allowed to speak or even have a computer. Christ.

• Upvote 2

If he was going to be appalled by the way people reacted, he should have taken the route that Chris Douglas-Roberts took. You know...sounding intelligent?

What a dumbass. This guy should never be allowed to speak or even have a computer. Christ.

This x1000000.

*in before a Steelers fan defends him*

Guest Durant4MVP

I wonder if these character issues were recognized by Dallas during the draft and influenced why they took Felix instead?

Anyway, Mendy is a moron.

It's dumb... but it's not like he said anything illegal or anything that can get him suspended. I don't care how much stuff he says like this as long as he continues to be a good running back.

You guys are fucking stupid. So NOBODY is allowed to have a different opinion than you? NOBODY is allowed to have different beliefs? Mendenhall is religious and believes that the only person that can judge you is God. I think that's fucking retarded, but if that's what he believes, who cares? Scroll down his feed and he also says a lot of pretty interesting and thought provoking things.

YOU ALL ARE FUCKING STUPID FOR NOT THINKING WHAT I THINK./tgp

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

You guys are fucking stupid. So NOBODY is allowed to have a different opinion than you?

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Their opinions are different that yours, so they're fucking stupid? Like the author offered: he is allowed to speak his mind but we have the right to disagree.

• Upvote 2

You guys are fucking stupid. So NOBODY is allowed to have a different opinion than you? NOBODY is allowed to have different beliefs? Mendenhall is religious and believes that the only person that can judge you is God. I think that's fucking retarded, but if that's what he believes, who cares? Scroll down his feed and he also says a lot of pretty interesting and thought provoking things.

Doesn't matter if he sounded like an idiot. Chris Douglas-Roberts followed the same route, but managed to sound sensible and intelligent. Check out his twitter posts.

Steelers fans to the rescue. Surprise, surprise. There's one thing to not like how people are cheering over a man's death it's another to be a complete retard and say things like:

We’ve only heard one side.

and

“We’ll never know what really happened,†Mendenhall said. “I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style.â€

He clearly chooses to be skeptical that maybe it didn't happen how it did when Osama ADMITTED TO IT.

Well, I didn't exactly come to his rescue, if you re-read my post.

I don't mind the comment about the towers. Plenty of people believe in conspiracy thoeries. Also can understand his comment about people celebrating death.

And the problem with celebrating the death of one of the worst mass murderers in history is.......what........??

LOL @ Steeler fans. I imagine if Josh Cribbs or Ray Lewis or Tom Brady said the things Ratard Mentalhall said, they would be here saying "LEAVE HIM ALONE! IT'S THEIR OPINION! THEY CAN SAY WHATEVER THEY WANT!" RAWWWRR!!!!"

I don't really mind that he may think the story the government shoved down our throats is a farce. I have been watching ESPN since 2-3ish and all they have been talking about is how Mendy is disrespecting our soldiers and servicemen... What? Give me a break. I don't see any connection between him thinking for himself and not accepting what Big Brother says to disrespecting our military.

Personally speaking, I think our government is a bunch of power tripping liars. But I still have the utmost respect for our military, the services they provide, the sacrifices they make, and I could go on and on.

The problem I do have with Mendenhall's comments are the ones almost defending Bin Laden. Yeah, the US trained him to fight the Soviets back in the late 70's / 80's. But the guy went rogue, and began causing mayhem for people across the world with his acts of terrorism. A lot of people forget about the bombings of the US Embassy, which he was responsible for. I have no sympathy for a man of that stature, whether I "know" him or not.

• Upvote 1

Regardless if you believe in God or not, OR believe in his thoughts about the twin towers and the planes that caused there collapse (some people don't look at hard evidence and facts because they either have bloated egos(Donald Trump) or are just plain dumb(Birthers), it is because he lives in America that he has the fundamental right to think and say what he wants within reasonable reason(the threat of death to someone or saying bomb in airport for example). I would rather have Mendenhall or somebody else speaking their mind, even if what they are saying is different to what most people think, then have groups like the Taliban or Al-Qaeda rule over a country where if you say something that is not in there line of thinking you get your hand chopped off or executed.

Their opinions are different that yours, so they're fucking stupid? Like the author offered: he is allowed to speak his mind but we have the right to disagree.

Being intolerant of intolerance is not hypocritical. Try again.

He's said some stupid shit ever since signing up for Twitter to be honest. I wasn't even surprised.

Twitter is the devil of football.

• Upvote 2

Wow, didn't realize Mendenhall was such a dumbass. First the slavery thing, now this. Just doesn't seem to fit in with the Steelers organization.