Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

Should the Bucs roll with Glennon, or draft a new QB?

During our long winless stretch, everyone talked about the opportunity to finally tae a QB high in the draft but now with it looking less likely we'll be picking top 2-3 and with 3rd round rookie Mike Glennon actually playing solid. The choice is now looking tough for the Bucs in April.

Glennon's stats: 62.1% completions, 1535 yards, 11 TDs, 4 INTs, 87.7 QBR

We won't get Bridgewater but there is a possibility to get Hundley, Mariota, Manziel or maybe even a 2nd/3rd round guy like Murray or McCarron. Should the Bucs put faith in Glennon? I'm actually kind of leaning towards yes with a vet backup. Maybe draft another WR and we need a TE for sure. The OL could maybe use help despite their resurgence in play. Getting Clowney or Barr on defense would be sweet too, but the Bucs may play themselves out of range to get them. We usually tend to win meaningless games and cost us stars on draft day.

The question is, does Glennon look like he could actually be the guy or is he just putting up solid numbers? If he's looking the part, then you roll with and look and upgrading other parts of the team.

I was convinced Glennon was the best QB in this draft class. After seeing him play for a few weeks, he's nothing spectacular, but he is definitely the best QB in his draft class and you can build around him.

Jury is still out. He has the tools to be a starter but he does need some work. I don't want Clowney, he is lazy and reminds me so much of Haynesworth. A guy who will play till he gets that big paycheck and mail it in.

He's got excellent poise in the pocket, even under pressure. I don't think he's anything extremely special, but he's certainly a decent stop gap and a guy who can carry the "manager" tag at this point. As said above though, the jury is still out. He's young and still getting acclimated to the speed of the NFL. I've seen him make some fantastic throws, and some pretty poor ones. He knows when to push the envelope on his throws, and he knows when to just check down. I will say this though too, kid has one hell of a release.

I'd let him play out the season (obviously), then make another determination after week 17. If you think he can be the guy, you roll with him, draft other positions, and take your chances. Or, if you're still not sure, you go into the draft with an open mind and see if you can land one of the studs.

I'd let him play out the season (obviously), then make another determination after week 17. If you think he can be the guy, you roll with him, draft other positions, and take your chances. Or, if you're still not sure, you go into the draft with an open mind and see if you can land one of the studs.

My problem is the lack of studs at QB. Bridgewater still looks likely to go #1, but is Hundley or Mariota a elite QB prospect? If there were better options, I'd be down...but I'm leaning towards getting a vet backup to "challenge" Glennon and see how he progresses into year two. I'm not crazy about it, because I'm tired of putting faith into guys like Glennon for the long term but spending a high pick on a QB just to get a QB isn't always smart.

Mike Glennon has a decent arm and has looked decent for the most part as a rookie. For now I'd say draft another position of need this upcoming draft and give Glennon a shot with a better team around him. The Bucs could certainly do much worse than Glennon.

Let's see how he finishes out the year. If he continues to play like he is now, gotta roll with him next year.

If he keeps this up, you have to roll with him. Glennon has exceeded my expectations and has easily been the best rookie QB this year. He's shown a lot of confidence, is very accurate and seems to be improving every week. The 2 major flaws I see in him right now are his deep ball accuracy and stepping up in the 2nd half. However, yesterday he made a beautiful deep pass to Underwood for his 2nd TD, and that also came in the 2nd half. The rest of the 2nd half was pretty poor though, especially when he took that sack instead of throwing it away.

I personally think Glennon is pretty much a lock to come back because I believe Schiano will be back and you know he's going to roll with Glennon,

Jury is still out. He has the tools to be a starter but he does need some work. I don't want Clowney, he is lazy and reminds me so much of Haynesworth. A guy who will play till he gets that big paycheck and mail it in.

that sounds exactly like a guy you want to draft, get a few great years out of him and let someone else give him the big contract when he hits free agency, a lot of people forgot how great Haynesworth was for the Titans in his two contract years

Edited by oochymp

Both. That way you've got some trade bait. Glennon looks fine in a moronic offense, so I'm interested in what he can do in an offense that's actually consistently effective in the NFL.

I thought no QB could succeed in Tampa Bay's scheme.

The offense that Freeman was running is completely different than what Glennon is running right now. I believe Schiano or Sully came out and said right away that Glennon's running a much more simplified version of the offense.

Not trying to make an excuse for Freeman, he sucks and Glennon is obviously better right now, but the offense has completely changed.

Edited by FireSchiano

Coach Greg Schiano calls Mike Glennon someone he'd like to have as his quarterback for a "long time."

"If he stays on this trajectory, he's a guy you'd like to have as your quarterback for a long time," was Schiano's full quote. Glennon hasn't been a box-score world beater, but has done everything the Bucs have asked of him and more, managing the game and popping big plays when needed. He's certainly an improvement over Josh Freeman. Glennon is the favorite to be under center in Tampa Bay in 2014, but that could change if Schiano is fired. The Bucs are going to be in position to select a franchise quarterback in May's draft.

Like I said, as long as Schiano comes back, there is no doubt Glennon will be the starter next year. He's been attached to him since his High School days and now Glennon is saving Schiano's ass from getting fired.

If Glennon keeps this play up and continues to improve, I won't have a problem at all with him being the starter next year.

Here's a little tidbit of information you may not be aware of, Glennon has moved to 11th in the QB efficiency rankings I'm doing. Ahead of Stafford, ahead of Dalton, Bradford, Cam Newton and even ahead of Matt Ryan. Aside from a poor YPA, he does a great job taking care of the football and in the red zone. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

His yards per pass has been improving. Its up to 6.6 now which isn't great but its respectable I suppose. He really doesn't have much to throw to either.

To me there is no question.

You keep Glennon unless you get a shot at landing like Teddy Bridgewater. Which I highly doubt.

Give him another year, new coach, and see what happens. Get yourself a good... I'm not sure really. Whatever the Bucs need most.

To me there is no question.

You keep Glennon unless you get a shot at landing like Teddy Bridgewater. Which I highly doubt.

Give him another year, new coach, and see what happens. Get yourself a good... I'm not sure really. Whatever the Bucs need most.

Glennon is playing the team out of getting a top 5 pick so you're right that we most likely won't have a shot at Teddy. Glennon definitely will have earned the starting job if he gets it, unfortunately, him playing so well most likely means another year of Schiano.

For a guy that has little to throw to...and absolutely no running game or TE. I think Glennon has done a more than serviceable job as a rookie, let alone as a starter. You give this guy a full off-season to get ready to start week 1 next year, and I think you're better off than drafting another QB..unless it's King Teddy. Give him some help, and I'm sure next season you'll see growth and potential.