KempBolt

Your Lurking Fear

5816954510_ca98169767_z.jpg

With a few exceptions, we're all pretty optimistic about our teams and what they may accomplish in 2014. But we also have to be aware that some teams are going to be good, and some are going to be bad. I'm sure each and every one of us is capable of explaining away any potentially mortal weaknesses on our teams' rosters, but let's take this space to be honest with ourselves. What is the one gnawing concern whispering in the back of your mind? You all know what I mean-- that question that you won't be able to answer until kick off and could be fatal. So check your homerism at this thread's door and spill your guts: if something is going to sink your team's fortunes in 2014, what's it gonna be?

• Upvote 2

Injuries. The Eagles got extremely lucky with health last year, something that rarely happens twice in a row.

• Upvote 2

:Chargers:

The biggest unanswered question bouncing around my brain is the state of our offense given the departure of Ken Whisenhunt. I'm a huge Whiz fan; he was my first choice to replace Norv Turner as our head coach. And clearly my affinity for him was justified, as he altered the offense and got things clicking after a horrendous 2012 campaign. He mitigated our weaknesses on the offensive line with a quick passing attack and breathed new life into an anemic running game. Under his leadership, Rivers returned to form as an elite quarterback. And now the Whiz is gone.

I'm certainly not without confidence in Frank Reich. I like what I'm hearing, and I know the FO hired him as QB coach with an eye towards this move (knowing that Whiz would be gone after a season). And McCoy is obviously going to have his fingerprints all over this offense as a former OC himself, in addition to stellar OL coach Joe D'Allesandris. Gun to my head, I'm guessing that we're at least as good if not better on offense in 2014. But there's still that lurking doubt. If Reich and McCoy are too impressed by how the OL looked in 2013, and try to move to more 5-7 step drops, we could slip back into the negative play bonanza that marked 2012. And I worry that we're not going to take full advantage of what could be a very effective ground game.

If the Chargers wind up underwhelming in 2014, my guess is that it will be because of a change in offensive philosophy that moved us away from what was working so well a year ago.

-Injuries to Brady/Gronk/Revis

- Long time offensive line coach, Dante Scarnecchia, retired. Always kind of made everyone feel like no matter who we got playing on the oline, injuries, whatever, they will be a solid group who can get it done. They have had some terrible games in the playoffs the past few years though, so maybe I'm overrating this.

- Wilfork coming off the achilles tear. Probably won't be the same player he was before. If he is even like 80% though that will be a huge boost to the defense.

- Also the receivers. Amendola blows, Dobson can't stay healthy and drops too many passes, same with Thompkins and Boyce. Only reliable guy is Edelman. LaFell huge question mark.

Edited by BradyFan81

Our season's already done, but Chad Henne playing well enough that he becomes our starter for years. You'd think good QB play would be appreciated, but nope, it's not.

Easy as pie- Kelvin Benjamin is a complete bust. That will sink it right there.

• Upvote 2

That nick Foles' season was a fluke. Injuries like Steve mentioned.

• Upvote 2

Julio Jones' health.

Also where the hell does our pass rush come from without a top..let alone above average pass rusher.

No matter how stacked we are, how good we look in the regular season, Peyton Manning and his aura of suckitude is hellbent on sinking us in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

:Bucs:

- Josh McCown plays like the QB he has been for this entire career (minus last year).

- The offensive line doesn't play well as a unit, specifically the guards because we have no one proven there (I've pretty much came to the conclusion Carl Nicks is done).

- Gerald McCoy getting hurt again.

I'm pretty confident in our offense and Nick Foles, but I'm worried our defense will hold us back from achieving the ultimate goal and that we might be looking for a new DC AGAIN.

Kam Chancellor friendly fire hitting somebody else in the lob and tearing their acl/mcl

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You all know what's potentially gonna kill the Bengals this year.

Outside of that? Another ACL tear to a star. Losing Geno killed us deep down. Bengals went into the playoffs in a daze and didn't have the heart to win.

Nice thought provoking thread. I'm not concerned about our defense that much. They played well for us down the stretch and was the best unit in our playoff game shutting Brees out in the first half and getting two interceptions. The primary fear ofcourse is injuries to a vital player. The secondary fear (which I'm not stressed about or anything) would be if Foles is the real deal or not. I'm pretty confident he is (which isn't necessarily a fear) but it's nothing like a show cased demonstration/confirmation to reassure you as proof. I do believe the Foles is our franchise QB so I guess that's not a fear. To sum it all up, I guess I don't have any fears this season outside of injuries which is common for everyone. I'm pretty confident about my Eagles team this year :rockon:

Josh McCown reverting to the crappy QB he was.

Secondary. plain and simple did we do enough this offseason to fix the secondary and I don't think we did.

neither of these will surprise anyone, but here goes:

our defense fails to adjust to the 3-4: a concern any time your defense is making a major shift, I think we'll be alright, but we were weak at the LB spot last year and we only started 3, so I'm not sure about starting 4, I have faith in Ray Horton to tailor the system to the personnel we have though, so I'm not overly worried

Jake Locker doesn't stay healthy: nothing new, the guy's had three major injuries since taking over the job two years ago and now we have no real backup plan, as uncomfortable as I was going from Hasselbeck backing him up to Fitzpatrick last season, I'm even less comfortable shifting to Charlie Whitehurst, we have no chance of doing anything if he's under center for more than a game or two

While it's not answering in the context of the question, and since I pride myself an attempting to be objective, my real 'lurking fear' is that I will be such a homer that I won't see my team's faults and bet heavily on them... continually. There are few worse feelings than when you're staring at a ticket that reads "your team -4-to-6" and it's the third quarter, your team is down 10 and you realize, 'We can NOT [fill in the blank]. We are NOT going to cover this. What in the hell was I thinking? I'm not even drunk."

In the context of the question, there is no lurking fear, but rather probable problems based on obvious observations:

-If Ben Roethlisberger gets hurt [for any extended period of time], the Steelers have no chance at a winning season.

-If the OL doesn't improve under Mike Munchak and/or stay healthy, it might not matter who is playing QB or RB, because a team with a good pass rush will beat the Steelers when it matters (probably the Bengals).

-If the defense can't get a pass rush going and the vets continue to lose a step, it might not matter how good the O is because the Steelers will give up 30+ points a game and get into shootouts. You can't win that way in the NFL (just ask Detroit or Dallas).

• Upvote 2

John Harbaugh being our coach.

John Harbaugh being our coach.

That coach just awarded your franchise a Lombardi only a year ago incase you forgot lol.

That coach just awarded your franchise a Lombardi only a year ago incase you forgot lol.

Of which I give him right next to zero credit for, in fact I blame him that Ray only got one home game. I wish he was the Steelers coach.

Of which I give him right next to zero credit for, in fact I blame him that Ray only got one home game. I wish he was the Steelers coach.

Or maybe praise him for allowing Ray Lewis to finish his career on the highest note that any player can wish for winning a superbowl and retiring in the sunset.

Edited by Dutch