BLUE

Russell Wilson expected to become highest paid QB

I'm not saying Wilson is replaceable...but I'm saying guys like Teddy Bridgewater, $cam, Winston, and maybe even Mariota could have success in that system.

you do realize that three of the four players you listed were drafted with a #1 or 2 overall pick, right? Seattle isn't going to be in position to draft a top QB prospect for a while and that's why they need to just bite the bullet and pay Wilson, there may be other QBs who could perform as well or better than Wilson, but they're not going to have the opportunity to acquire any of those QBs

I'm not saying to get those exact QB's, I'm just saying QB's of that athleticism/how they play QB. Could be in the draft next year. (IDK next years QB outlook for college) but I'm just saying that they exist, and exist at a much cheaper rate that will allow them to put the money where it matters on that team...depth and defense.

And I never agree with Bware....

But misleading stats are misleading.

The defense of Seattle makes it incredibly simple for him. In terms of field position, the points they create off turnovers, and the fact that Seattle is probably starting around midfield or opponent territory most drives. That leaves Wilson from about the 50 to 15 yard line to do his work. From 15 yards in, that is Lynch's work. All he has to do is play smart, and efficient, which he does...and he's pretty much set.

It's not that hard to do when you already have defenses trying to defend the TD and it's not like you want to put pressure on Wilson with how much of an athlete he is.

I'm not saying Wilson is replaceable...but I'm saying guys like Teddy Bridgewater, $cam, Winston, and maybe even Mariota could have success in that system.

Do you have any stats to back this up or just gut feeling?

You may be right, idk, but I think you're just talking out of your ass if you don't actually have the stats.

• Upvote 1

Good links, but you'll want to look at Offensive Drive Stats rather than Defensive to find average starting field position:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

They were 4th in average starting field position at 30.16, but also 7th in yards per drive at 34.08. Compare this to Pittsburgh, who was 1st in yards per drive at 39.38, but 30th in average starting field position with 25.27 and it begs the question, does starting 5 yards closer equate to gaining 5 fewer yards per drive? If you are inclined to say yes, then Seattle's offense was not much worse than the high-flying Steelers of '14.

Seattle was also in the top 10 of every other offensive category listed on that page, despite their poor pass protection as of late.

Tier 2 QB sounds about right. But those guys get paid, too.

There is a reason why Seattle is not budging and its because they feel the same way. They built an all star team around him. Several of playmakers at each level on D. A true workhorse at RB. Wr's is the weakest position on the team but they addressed that this offseason with Graham. This dude wants to get paid like he thrown 40 tds before. (Try 30 first Russell) Seattle does not need their QB to carry the team at all. So why would they pay him Franchise QB money?

Edited by monstersofthemidway

There is a reason why Seattle is not budging and its because they feel the same way. They built an all star team around him. Several of playmakers at each level on D. A true workhorse at RB. Wr's is the weakest position on the team but they addressed that this offseason with Graham. This dude wants to get paid like he thrown 40 tds before. (Try 30 first Russell) Seattle does not need their QB to carry the team at all. So why would they pay him Franchise QB money?

Wilson should get paid, solely because he plays the most important position on the team. He does his job pretty well. The only issue is that he wants A-Rod money, which is crazy.

Wilson should get paid, solely because he plays the most important position on the team. He does his job pretty well. The only issue is that he wants A-Rod money, which is crazy.

More or less my points. He wants to get paid like he is carrying the team like Aaron Rodgers but thats not how Seattle works. Why should they pay him that type of money when they don't have too and when he does not deserve it?

More or less my points. He wants to get paid like he is carrying the team like Aaron Rodgers but thats not how Seattle works. Why should they pay him that type of money when they don't have too and when he does not deserve it?

It doesn't matter how Seattle works. Starting caliber QBs get paid elite money; that's how the NFL works. There's no way Seattle can avoid paying Wilson top dollar (something like $21M per year, considering Cam Newton recently got $20.8M).

• Upvote 1

Average or Above average qbs always get paid handsomely. Been like that for years but average or above average qbs don't get paid like they are the best.

So what do you define as "handsomely" versus "like they are the best?"

scrubs like Cutler, Kaep and the red rifle all got recently paid and paid well. Wilson while better than those 3 does not deserve to get paid like Aaron Rodgers (RW is aiming for the same money if not more). Sucks for Seattle because in the end they are going to give in.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Terry, you're confusing me. The main point I wanted to make was in response to what you said a few posts up:

Why should they pay him that type of money when they don't have too and when he does not deserve it?

It doesn't matter if he deserves it because they do have to.

Problem is there are 32 teams but there are not 32 starting caliber qbs, simple supply and demand

• Upvote 2

Then you let somebody else pay for the guy. And when he struggles mightily the Hawks will be glorified for how smart they were.

And when he leads the Cardinals to their second super bowl they'll be crying in the corner eating thermite...

• Upvote 1

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7460

According to Profootballtalk, "word on the NFL grapevine" is that the Seahawks have offered Russell Wilson a long-term contract with an average-annual value of $21 million, and "significant guaranteed money."

It's a good start, but not what Wilson is looking for, which is to become the highest-paid player in the league. That requires surpassing Aaron Rodgers' annual $22 million. It's a standoff where Wilson owns much of the leverage, though Seattle has the ability to franchise tag its quarterback each of the next two years. In the end, a deal before Week 1 seems more likely than not. It's makes too much sense for both sides.

Sounds like something the Seahawks intentionally leaked to the media to make Wilson look like the "bad guy."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7460

Sounds like something the Seahawks intentionally leaked to the media to make Wilson look like the "bad guy."

I approve of this. :yep:

That said, I think both sides are playing the right cards. I think in the end the price goes up but not whats been advertised. In '16.

Edited by BC

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7460/russell-wilson

Profootballtalk passes along "belief in league circles" that the Seahawks could finalize Russell Wilson's extension within "the next 48 hours."

Both sides have gone to great lengths to posture through the media, releasing contract-proposal numbers and even telling some media outlets Wilson could be an ex-Seahawk by next offseason. (The latter was never, ever going to happen.) It's rumored the Seahawks are willing to up their offer, likely in an effort to compromise. Wilson would also have to give something in that compromise, of course. It sounds like an accord may be imminent.

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

That is a fuckton of money. Juses.

And now Seattle will come back down to mediocrity.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A $21.9M average is around what we all expected, I think. The surprises here are (1) it's only a four-year deal, and (2) that's a shitload of guaranteed cash.

I guess Seattle's next priority would be Bobby Wagner, but how can they possibly have the money for him?

Oh, and brace yourselves, TGP. Andrew Luck is about to become the highest paid player in the league.

• Upvote 1