Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Vick, Eagles agree to $100M contract

Per Rotoworld.com:

Eagles agreed to terms with QB Michael Vick on a six-year, $100 million contract with $40 million guaranteed.

We'd have to see annual particulars to comment with 100-percent accuracy, but it's an eye-popping commitment to a 31-year-old quarterback who relies so much on his athleticism. Vick was previously scheduled to play this season on a $15.975 million franchise tag. It will be interesting to see how Vick develops when his speed starts to diminish. While he made strides as a passer last season, Vick's attribute that scares opponents most is still his run threat. Aug 29 - 7:49 PM

Source: Andrew Brandt on Twitter

Edited by BLUE
lolIggles....

So let's put this in business terms...you're making a $100 million, 6-year investment into a quarterback with a history of injury concerns, and your offensive line hasn't shown that it can mend off the pass rush.

Epic fail. Something tells me this could be the last straw for Andy Reid if this backfires, which I think it will.

Rather than repeating what everyone else will say about this being a dumb move by Philly, I'll comment on the man himself. He went from being on the richest, most marketable athletes to being broke, in jail and an outcast. Hes given another opportunity and after one season is back to being one of the richest most marketable athletes in sports. Only in America folks.

He went from being on the richest, most marketable athletes to being broke, in jail and an outcast. Hes given another opportunity and after one season is back to being one of the richest most marketable athletes in sports. Only in America folks.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not saying he shouldn't be paid because of his mistakes but this is a huge gamble by Philly. He's earned a large paycheck but this is just too much.

Welp, it's what the fans wanted... Less to the rookies = More to the vets.

Congrats to Vick, I hope he can play up to the contract and exceed it, i'll be rooting for him. He came back and did all the right things and he's rewarded for it. Hopefully he'll be able to pay off all those bills he still owes the Falcons, etc.

:rofl:

Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Justin Tuck, Osi Umineyora, and Brian Orakpo are licking their chops.

• Upvote 1

Welp, it's what the fans wanted... Less to the rookies = More to the vets.

Congrats to Vick, I hope he can play up to the contract and exceed it, i'll be rooting for him. He came back and did all the right things and he's rewarded for it. Hopefully he'll be able to pay off all those bills he still owes the Falcons, etc.

Not unworthy vets. I expect both Vick and Andy to be in Philly for 2 more years.

That's an awful lot of money...

I've been, and still am, all for Mike Pick (lol Sarge) getting a second chance etc etc. I'm cheerin' for him...

...but good LAWD that's a lot of moneh!

He had one good season...I dunno if he deserved THAT much. Whatever though. It's done...good for him. The more successful QBs and successful teams the better in my eyes. Makes the NFL that much better and fun to watch...goodluck to him and the Eagles....unless your nickname refers to something being cold on a different bird team. :p

Edited by BucD

Well they gave away their 'franchise' QB and have basically put the team on Vicks shoulders (or feet I should say). What better way to show it then invest $100M in a guy.

This is ridiculous. This takes up a huge amount of cap space to resign good players and fill in gaps (lots of 1 year deals this season). What'll happen to DJax now? Vick had one great season and he gets a deal bigger than Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. He's injury prone, had a mediocre offensive line, and puts himself in bad situations with his physical play and ability to run. This is a terrible investment. Less money and less years would have been a much better option. You just shot yourself in the foot Philly.

:rofl:

Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Justin Tuck, Osi Umineyora, and Brian Orakpo are licking their chops.

Umenyiora already tried, and he's not getting shit until he shows he's still young and effective enough to pull Jason Pierre-Paul off the field long enough to give him a chance to wreck some havoc. But yes, your point is noted. :beerchug2:

This is ridiculous. This takes up a huge amount of cap space to resign good players and fill in gaps (lots of 1 year deals this season). What'll happen to DJax now? Vick had one great season and he gets a deal bigger than Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. He's injury prone, had a mediocre offensive line, and puts himself in bad situations with his physical play and ability to run. This is a terrible investment. Less money and less years would have been a much better option. You just shot yourself in the foot Philly.

I think you're overblowing the significance. I haven't seen the Eagles in cap trouble since before Reid was coach. I think I'll trust the judgement of the FO for now as far as what they can afford. I agree it seems like a bit much but the deal actually reportedly lowers his cap number from what he was slotted to make, therefore freeing up more room to sign Desean Jackson.

Also, I don't have the per year break down for any of these, but the Vick Contract averages less per year than Brady and Peyton Manning, and only a little bit more per year than Eli. Rodgers is set to get a big payday in 2 years or so, as the Pack extended him before he was one of the elite, Big Ben as well. Rivers has also elevated his play in the time period since his last contract, but averages about 2 million less per year.

The new CBA is also allowing teams to spend more on Vets. I think we're going to see bigger contract extensions than previous due to saving money on rookies.

Edited by GA_Eagle

Per Rotoworld.com:

Michael Vick's new contract, originally reported as $100 million over six years, is actually a five-year, $80 million deal.

This isn't unusual. Per Profootballtalk's Mike Florio, Vick's sixth year at $20 million voids if he participates in 35 percent of the snaps in any year of the deal. The contract contains $32.5 million in guarantees plus $3 million guaranteed for injury only. Florio points out that the deal is essentially for $48 million over three "as a practical matter." Aug 30 - 5:19 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Now that is better.

At least they structured it smartly. First year is 20million, first 3 equals to 46mil, and 33mil of the 36mil in guarantees is in the first 2 seasons. So really after the first 3 seasons they can drop him without having to owe him anything, if I understand that correctly.

Vick's sixth year at $20 million voids if he participates in 35 percent of the snaps in any year of the deal.

So If he gets hurt all 5 years and the Eagles held onto him, they'd be giving him an extra 20 million. lol.

Boo.

Edited by BLUE

Rather than repeating what everyone else will say about this being a dumb move by Philly, I'll comment on the man himself. He went from being on the richest, most marketable athletes to being broke, in jail and an outcast. Hes given another opportunity and after one season is back to being one of the richest most marketable athletes in sports. Only in America folks.

He is in big with creditors. All he really has is that 32.5mil guaranteed and that's going to go to taxes and his creditors. He'll be lucky to walk away with 6mil...For most of us that'd be enough but the lifestyle he lives? Not sure that'll last.

Edited by NaTaS

I think this is a very premature move. I like Vick, and I think he's proven he deserves more than he was making, but locking him up for 6 years after one great season back from prison is almost setting him up for failure.

I have to agree with all the comments here. The Eagles are taking a big gamble. I too think this is gonna end badly.

It is premature. He's really injury prone. There is a lot of risk/reward, but 32 mil guaranteed isn't really a HUGE risk considering what he can bring when he is healthy and motivated. At least it isn't as bad as it was when it was first reported.

Edited by westbrookforsix