JetsFan4Life

Junior Seau Dead at 43

OCEANSIDE — Oceanside police are responding to a report of a shooting at the beachfront home of former Chargers star Junior Seau Wednesday.

A 911 call reporting a possible suicide was made to police at 10 a.m., a dispatcher said.

Seau lives in a two-story home on the south end of The Strand.

A crowd that includes several Oceanside police officers has formed outside the house.

No further details were immediately available.

Link

I've seen reports that he is indeed dead but nothing totally confirmed yet. Very sad.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Very sad indeed.

Junior will be missed R.I.P.

:( Rip Junior.

Oh no.

This is very sad news.

RIP, Junior.

Another blind suicide out of nowhere. Damn i wonder why he did that. I dont want to read the news about it because theyll prob switch it around or something. However hes one of the best to ever play R.I.P.

Posted this on SI, but I'll post here too. Hopefully add a little insight as to why he may have done it

I think Junior's was related to all of the head trauma he went through after so many years in the league. That much trauma can really screw up how a person's mind works. In Feburary, ex bear Dave Duerson committed suicide in the same fashion to preserve his brain to be studied. I think that Junior did the same thing. There is a disease caused by repeated blows to the head and it is common in ex-NFL players. These brains will be studied to help further concussion research.

This really is a blow to my heart though. Junior Seau was an idol to me growing up. By far one of my favorite players and was a true inspiration. He was a class act and a good role model.

R.I.P.

I agree with MOTM. Duerson's passing opened my eyes to this kind of thing.

R.I.P. Junior

Andre Waters shot himself too.

Anyway, this is very tragic. My thoughts are with Junior's loved ones. RIP

I can't believe it. RIP Junior, you were always a great linebacker, even when you played for the Chargers.

Wow can believe this...RIP Junior :(

Something freaky I read on an article about his passing:

Seau is the eighth member of the 1994 San Diego Chargers, the team that lost Super Bowl XXIX to the 49ers, to die at a young age. The other '94 Charger players that have died: Chris Mims, David Griggs, Rodney Culver, Lewis Bush, Curtis Whitley, Shawn Lee, and Doug Miller.

Terrible news.

RIP.

Saints OL Eric Olsen on Seau:

1U3Ay.png

Edited by FIDDYDEUCE

Bein honest I cant spare sympathy for someone who leaves behind kids because of suicide. He was a great player and up until a few hours ago thought the world of him. I just cant believe such a devout family man would do that to his kids. This was a blow. Either way I hope he found his peace. My heart goes out to his children.

I have a lot of the same reservations about suicide that Ngata does. It's the most selfish act you can commit on this Earth. That truth becomes painfully evident for me by watching his mother outside his home today. Listening to her made me shudder and there was just a veil of sadness... Not necessarily for Junior himself who found (hopefully) his peace leaving this world, but for those who he left behind that will mourn for days, weeks, months, and years after this day.

There are so many countless people in this world that have been touched by Junior and I don't take any of that away from him. He was a great man until his final minutes on this Earth.

My prayers go out to his friends, family, and all of those that he touched in his 40+ years on this Earth. I deeply hope that they can find some sense of peace as their son, father, and friend did on this sad, sad day.

doc4fa178397a551646371066.jpg

While I agree that suicide is selfish, I don't think people that do it are in complete control of their actions. Depression is entirely medical, which we now know, so just like any other condition that can kill you, it sometimes does. Have sympathy, folks. Please. You never know just how you might die. Anybody can be sent into a tailspin and end up like Junior.

Never before was the #55 so inspirational. I'll miss you and your contributions to football and the world. Much love, Junior.

-Kellen

Just as it's selfish for someone to take their own life, it's selfish for other people to demand that person stay alive when they are suffering. It's unfair to all parties, but that's besides the point. When their study is completed and the examine his brain, they will no doubt find the damage to his brain would easily cause him to commit suicide. I can't say I'm an expert on the brain, but it's hard to understand what exactly Junior Seau was going through. That's why I can't condemn him for going through with killing himself, when millions of other people in North America have considered doing it themselves.

I don't think there is any doubt they find brain trauma, and probably a lot of it. Playing a position for 20 years that gets celebrated over big hits will probably leave that kind of result.

But to blame his lack of will to live on that brain trauma isn't something I am willing to do.

It looks like his life was in shambles. Divorced, numerous failed entrepreneurial ventures, and it looks, although I am unsure if accurate... that he was broke, too.

To say he was only depressed because of the hits he took and gave on the football field would be ignorant. But so would ignoring the effects of 20 years in the NFL had on his brain.

Just as it's selfish for someone to take their own life, it's selfish for other people to demand that person stay alive when they are suffering. It's unfair to all parties, but that's besides the point. When their study is completed and the examine his brain, they will no doubt find the damage to his brain would easily cause him to commit suicide. I can't say I'm an expert on the brain, but it's hard to understand what exactly Junior Seau was going through. That's why I can't condemn him for going through with killing himself, when millions of other people in North America have considered doing it themselves.

Yeah damn those selfish kids who need their father. There is no way that they are selfish for wanting a father. That is ridiculous, and coming from you it shocked me. And it is in no way unfair for them to ask their father to be there. It was selfish for him to do what he did. You tihnk his kids are going to live this down anytime soon ?

I am not sure what you meant by this but the way it reads is that it is selfish for someone to ask somebody to live when they are suffering. That means his kids are selfish ? Cant see that. If you have kids you need to man up, your life isnt all about you anymore. So leaving your children without a father...Sorry but in my opinion you need to man up and fix your shit if that means being a father to your kids.

Perhaps he wasn't left with much of a choice, perhaps his brain damage was leading him to it? After countless concussions, you can't expect your reasoning faculties to be on the same level as someone with a healthy brain does. I know his brain injuries aren't the only reason he's depressed, but they're a benefactor to the reason why he would consider suicide his only option.

While I agree that suicide is selfish, I don't think people that do it are in complete control of their actions. Depression is entirely medical, which we now know, so just like any other condition that can kill you, it sometimes does. Have sympathy, folks. Please. You never know just how you might die. Anybody can be sent into a tailspin and end up like Junior.

Never before was the #55 so inspirational. I'll miss you and your contributions to football and the world. Much love, Junior.

-Kellen

I'm pretty sure there has at least been a correlation shown that former football players suffer depression at a higher rate than most people (I don't have time/don't feel like looking it up, but I'm sure the research is still on going) but from the commentary I've seen it doesn't seem like he was showing any signs of depression, I can understand that depression and other circumstances can make someone feel like suicide is their only option, what I don't understand is why they don't reach out for help, it seems like he was in constant contact with his mother, yet she was shocked by the suicide, that's what I can't wrap my head around