Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Kraft wants a team in England

Posted by Mike Florio on June 28, 2012, 9:06 AM EDT

Patriots owner Robert Kraft may have no interest in owning an English soccer club, but he definitely wants to see someone own an English NFL franchise.

According to Neil Reynolds of Sky Sports, Kraft has said during a speaking engagement in England he believes the NFL should have a team in London.

“I personally think we should have a franchise in London and that is something I am going to push for,” Kraft said. “I think I said that the last time we were over here in 2009 and before this next decade is out, I hope we have a team here. I think that would be right for the NFL and this fan base has proven they deserve it.”

And by rewarding the fan base in England, the NFL will be rewarding itself.

“I think we’re starting to tap out in the United States,” Kraft said. “If you look at the last Super Bowl we were in this past season, we had over 180 million people watching — that’s almost two thirds of America. So for us to grow the game, we have to expand globally. Having seen the kind of support we have received here in London, it is the intention of the NFL owners to get two games here, starting next year.”

Of course, when it comes to moving an existing team, Kraft isn’t willing to put his money machine where his mouth is.

“The only bad part of putting a franchise in London is that I can assure you it won’t be the Patriots who are moving here,” Kraft said.

So who will it be? At a time when many believe the Rams are destined to finagle their way out of a lease in St. Louis, it’s presumed they’ll return to Los Angeles. But with the Rams throwing their hands in the air with Horshackian zeal to play three homes games in London over the next three years, they’re at the top of the short list of potential candidates to make the move.

The possibility of sending the Rams or any other team to London comes with plenty of question marks. But there’s an exclamation point to be realized if/when more of the people who don’t live in the United States develop a true passion for the NFL. What is a billion-dollar business could become, sooner rather than later, a trillion-dollar endeavor.

No successful enterprise is content to tread water. For the NFL, the possibility exists for exponential growth, once the sport officially begins crossing the various bodies of water that surround our borders via the permanent placement of teams on the other side.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Just move the Patriots to England and change their name to the Benedicts. :troll:

Say goodbye to the Jaguars Jacksonville.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

I do think the NFL will have to go international eventually, but there is no reason to do it now or anytime in the very near future. The NFL is STILL growing every year.. No reason to get ahead of themselves and move overseas or otherwise right now.

But when they do decide to go to other countries, I am not so sure overseas should be the first choice. I'd maybe do a franchise in Toronto.. and then maybe Mexico City.. Then go from there.

bX5ag.gif

In the future the sport will have to branch out overseas. I don't think they are ready to do that just yet though. I mean, could you imagine if they moved then people didn't feel like showing up to the games? It would be devastating to that particular franchise.

A look longer down the road from my mind is into the games happening every week. Would we continue to see games on a weekly basis? Or is it possible it would have to go to every other week? I mean, think of the travel that would need to be taking place. I just don't think it's viable right now.

They need to go to Italy so Michelle Tafoya and Erin Andrews can give us updates topless.

Something that needs to be brought up though when moving to other countries. You have athletes who are born here, raised here, play HS and college ball here...

Do they really want to get drafted or sign in FA with a team that is overseas like London? I think that would suck some major ass.

Something that needs to be brought up though when moving to other countries. You have athletes who are born here, raised here, play HS and college ball here...

Do they really want to get drafted or sign in FA with a team that is overseas like London? I think that would suck some major ass.

Yet another concept that not too many people probably think of as well. But at the same time, you can only begin to wonder what types of NFL players you would be able to find over there that never actually get a chance in the US due to the fact that they can't get over here. I know for a fact there are a ton of schools and outside organizations over there that do American Football pretty seriously.

Ya, last time I checked NFL Europa was one giant bust-o. lol

Even if they did find athletes over there that wanted to and could play at the NFL level. I have to assume that a team of Brits is going to get absolutely whooped on by the rest of the league.

Even if they did find athletes over there that wanted to and could play at the NFL level. I have to assume that a team of Brits is going to get absolutely whooped on by the rest of the league.

It's not because they are poor athletes. It's because they lack the knowledge of the game. We spend our whole lives learning about the NFL procedures, and the proper ways to do things while playing. These guys over seas spend about a year, maybe less - and then they get thrown to the wolves on the field. If you had a team over there, you'd have guys spending years and years trying to achieve getting on that team. Much like the guys over here.

I do think the NFL will have to go international eventually, but there is no reason to do it now or anytime in the very near future. The NFL is STILL growing every year.. No reason to get ahead of themselves and move overseas or otherwise right now.

But when they do decide to go to other countries, I am not so sure overseas should be the first choice. I'd maybe do a franchise in Toronto.. and then maybe Mexico City.. Then go from there.

J-Dizzle laying down the truth in this thread.

Ultimately I agree that international NFL teams should begin in Toronto and go from there. The time zone difference alone is enough to deter anyone from setting up shop in Europe.

I am fucking tired of hearing about expansion into England, even if there is interest there it won't work, a team in England could never get a primetime game because 8:30 EST (the kickoff time for primetime games) is 1:30 AM in England, nobody will watch a game at 1:30 AM on tv, much less go to the stadium, and if you don't give the team any primetime games then they won't get any national attention, no matter how good they are, and imagine the jetlag, you think east coast teams have a tough time playing on the west coast? try sending a team from England over there and see what happens, or a team from the west coast to England for a game, or even a team from the east coast, think about it, no matter what team leaves you'll have four teams moving across at least five timezones for divisional games, the longest shift right now for any team is over three timezones, based on timezones, England is as far from the east coast as Hawaii is, that's right, moving the Patriots to England would be functionally similar to moving them to Hawaii and leaving them in the AFC East, a team in England would have to travel through almost twice as many timezones as the longest possible roadtrip every time they're on the road, you want to talk about physical distance? the furthest distance between teams right now is from Seattle, Washington to Miami, Florida which is 2727 miles (straight line) the distance from London to Boston (which would be the closest team) is 3280 miles, that's right, the closest team to them would be further than the furthest possible travel distance, it's just fucking stupid, also I think any owner who says he supports putting a team in England should be asked if he would move his team to England knowing how much travel is involved

Nice post oochy. Although, it would be nice if you hit ENTER a few times. :p

I want to see Robert Kraft drop the "New" off the Patriots and move them over to London or something. For some reason, I don't think he would be very keen on the idea. haha

Nice post oochy. Although, it would be nice if you hit ENTER a few times. :p

I want to see Robert Kraft drop the "New" off the Patriots and move them over to London or something. For some reason, I don't think he would be very keen on the idea. haha

when I get on a rant like that I ain't got time for line breaks :p

I do always wonder why nobody brings up the sheer logistical issues there, until we develop teleportation to neutralize the problems a team in London would face in traveling to the US for half of their games every year it just wont work, and there's no way to deal with the timing issue.

if there is ever a team in London it will take 3-4 years before they win a road game, and you can quote me on that

Yeah. One of the biggest problems this faces, that you brought up, is the sheer amount of traveling. And then who would want a London team in their division? Not me... Stay out of the NFC North, lol.

Maybe they will have an International Division. lol

They need to go to Italy so Michelle Tafoya and Erin Andrews can give us updates topless.

Michelle Tafoya is not a woman I want to see topless, yo.

Maybe you could have an international league (or european league, prolly easier that way) with NFL caliber players and then have the winners of both leagues play each other in a super super bowl

That'd be retarded, but still better than sending a team to bloody fucking England.

I have to agree, putting a team in Europe is a horrible plan for the reasons listed above. Not to mention that soccer is still far too popular over there as it is.

Of course if Kraft still wants a team there, move the Patriots. :D I'm sure the fans will like that.

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 27, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT

The Patriots are in London this weekend to play the Rams in the NFL’s annual game at Wembley Stadium, and New England owner Robert Kraft says he believes the U.K. is ready for eight games a year in London.

Appearing at an NFL fan event that drew thousands to Trafalgar Square, Kraft said he believes the time has come for a London-based NFL team.

“You’re already hosting the Premier League, and we believe we’re the premier sport in the world,” Kraft said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “I think London has shown, with the way they’ve handled the Olympics and every other major sporting event, that it’s time for you to have your own NFL franchise, based in London.”

The NFL insists that it can make things work in London, and starting next year the league will have two games a year across the pond. But filling Wembley Stadium for a game or two a year is still a long ways away from filling Wembley Stadium for eight games a year, year after year, in a country where American football is still viewed as a curiosity, not a passion.

So the NFL still has work to do before a franchise in London is viable. But Kraft thinks it’s close.

Source: ProFootballTalk

The New England Patriot can now become the England Redcoats. :troll:

Awful, Awful idea.