Sonic Raider

Being a Fan Of Multiple Teams

What do you guys think about being a fan of multiple teams? Me personally, I am a die hard Cowboys fan and have been a Raiders fan since 2005. It is hard for me to decide between the two of them.

Heres a picture of me taking over Texas Stadium

l.jpg

And here is me in my raiders jersey

l.jpg

I dunno, couldn't do it myself. One would always take precedent over the other. You said die hard Cowboys fan, and been a Raider fan since '05. So I'm guessing when the Cowboys and Raiders play, you root Cowboys?

I'm a Jags fan (because I'm a saido-masochist), and I can't see myself rooting for any other team unless I want someone to win for my Pick'em, gambling, or for the Jags' best interest. I'm only 26, so the Jags became a team when I was 9, so I've pretty much grown up with them. Before then, I watched Packers' games with my dad because he was from Wisconsin. But I never rooted for them truthfully but my dad tried to make me a Packers fan around that age.

I grew up in south Florida, and for some reason always hated the Dolphins and never gave a shit about the Bucs (who were a joke before '97 save for a couple fluke years in '79 and '81.) I mostly hated the Fins because I thought Marino was a whiny little girl. Which kind of gave me pleasure when the Jags retired him in 1999 in that 62-7 playoff blowout, which was also Jimmy Johnson's last time coaching. As I got older I learned to respect Marino for his skill and how good he actually was. As soon as the Jags came in the league, it was a new Florida team and they seemed tailor made for me to root for even though I still lived 8 hours from Jacksonville.

One of the other reasons was Madden, funny enough. That sounds lame, but hey, I was a 9 year old. One of the players had my same last name on Jacksonville (He was drafted by the Jags, but had a short two year career due to injury, let's see if any Jags fans can guess the player? He started 6 games total and played in 17), so I thought it was cool and they were a decent team so I always played against my friends as Jax, and I never went back.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I could never root for multiple teams. I've been a Packers fan since my aunt screamed in my ear when I was in elementary school watching a Packers game. I've been paying attention and loving them ever since. I'm from Wisconsin so I'm sure that contributes to it a little bit, but I could never give up on them no matter what or pick another team to cheer for instead.

How the fuck can you call yourself a Dallas Cowboys fan and own, let alone wear another's team jersey that wasn't due to some kind of a bet?

Makes me sick. Pick one team.

• Upvote 1

No. I'm close enough to a heart attack with loving the Titans and Vols as much as I do. Don't need to add more teams to that.

It's going to be a long time before the Raiders are even on track again. They've been irrelevant for quite some time, don't know how you'd sit here with the Cowboys always knocking on the door and still want to support the black hole

I'm not sure about being a "fan" of two teams, but I do like other teams. I like the Steelers because I've always loved watching Polamalu play (and Willie Parker dom), and then I like the Ravens because Ray Lewis has been my favourite defensive player since the dawn of time (and Terrell Suggs is hilarious). Not saying I'm a fan of either team, but I admire them and enjoy watching their games(and Ravens-Pats games are ALWAYS awesome).

That being said I did like Colts with Peyton Manning. Easily the most fun QB to watch when he audibles and wins and whatnot. Colts vs Pats games were sick since the AFCCG when Ty Law made Harrison his bitch. And now my admiration moved from Colts to Broncos.

I don't have an issue with it as long as the teams are in different conferences. Chances are they're not going to face each other enough times to cause a conflict.

Not a fan of it at all. I can understand liking certain teams the way I like the Giants and Chiefs, but being an actual fan of two teams? No. If a Steeler fan had posted pictures of himself on Heinz Field next to a picture of himself in another team's gear... that fan would be lynched.

• Upvote 1

The first time I watched football was Emmitt Smith tearing up the Washington Redskins. I became a Cowboys fan and started following them religiously as a kid. I used to absolutely hate the Minnesota Vikings, but over time that involved having to watch them every Sunday I couldn't help but start rooting for them as well. I think it has more to do with my slowly declining interest in football and sports altogether. If I was as rabid of a fan as I was 5 years ago, I'd probably be all Cowboys.

There came a point in time when I realized that I was too emotionally invested in sports, to the point that it wrecked my moods for entire days sometimes (and made it difficult to even be around me). I wasn't okay with that, so I decided to pull back a bit. I basically watch the games that I can, otherwise I don't fret over it, and I let it go the instant it's over. It's a liberating feeling knowing that the game's over but I can still make something out of the day. I don't know if this is as melodramatic as it sounds to me, but I know most of you at least know what I'm talking about.

I realized that for me, personally, sports couldn't be a major part of my life without consequences. Unfortunately, that involved being more open to other teams like the Minnesota sports franchises that I really had never supported before. Now, I'm a full-fledged Minnesota sports fan (professional level, not college).

But yeah, I figured since y'all like to give me shit about it, I might as well try explain it.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm fan of the Bucs, but I will root for other teams. But own jerseys from them?? Nah.

I don't think it's right. It's completely wrong actually. As a "die-hard" fan you probably refer to the Cowboys as "my team" and use words like "we" and "us" when talking about the Cowboys. If that's truly the case, then that would be like Dez Bryant rolling through town with a Raiders jersey on. It wouldn't be right. If you're a true fan of a team then you support that team through the good and the bad alike.

You can be a die-hard fan of a team, and still root for another team once yours is out of contention but don't get it twisted - you are NOT a fan of that team. You can't sit and say "I love the Cowboys but I have been a Raiders fan for a while and love to see them winning Superbowls!" that is just stupid. I hate when people do this.

I will say though, once the Falcons were slaughtered last year, I thought it would have been cool to see the Texans go to the Superbowl but that's as far as it went. Usually once the Falcons are out of it, I immediately start concentrating on next season and what the Falcons should do to improve.

Ask yourself, what would you do if the Cowboys and Raiders met in the Superbowl? Who would you root for? Surely you couldn't be neutral.

Edited by Chris D

There are a few very limited reasons for liking a different team with two hard and fast rules: they can't be teams that play each other often (don't even think about same division) and you have to know who you root for when they play each other, no saying "I win either way" or even "at least my second favorite team won" you gotta own #1. Personally I'm a huge Titans fan, as y'all know, I'm also becoming a Redskins fan, because I live in Virginia and everyone around me is either a Skins fan or a Steelers fan (I have no idea why there are so many Steelers fans in VA, but there are) so it's hard not to follow the one of the two, most of my family are Skins fans, so that's my second team.

Having explained my reasoning, here are what I see as legitimate reasons for rooting for multiple teams: (1) you move or otherwise live near fans mostly of another team, I have no problem with rooting for the team everyone around you does, as long as they're not playing your team (2) if you're more of a college fan and root for alums of your school when they go to the NFL (3) your spouse (gf isn't enough, sorry) is a die-hard fan of another team

I might be willing to listen to another reason, but at this point those are the only ones I see

Edited by oochymp

There are two meanings of "Being a fan of multiple teams".

1. Your case and I'm completely against that,I can't stand seeing that..You can't be a die hard fan of two teams :nope: It's just one team that means everything to you..

2. Being a die hard fan of one team but following one or two teams just because their games always represent the finest NFL can offer..I like watching Niners and Texans' games cause they're always interesting to see and make great plays on both sides of the ball..But that's it..No further commitment or something..

• Upvote 1

Yea, I don't like it either. I can't imagine ever rooting for any other team than the Bucs. Just would never feel right. Doesn't matter how bad they are (I watched all 10 games of last years collapse). If you're a die-hard fan, you stick through the good and bad times.

Yea, I don't like it either. I can't imagine ever rooting for any other team than the Bucs. Just would never feel right. Doesn't matter how bad they are (I watched all 10 games of last years collapse). If you're a die-hard fan, you stick through the good and bad times.

Agreed.

I came on here when we went 2-14, but I am not a fan of any other team besides Carolina.

I was around all the time during the Niners' 6-10 garbage season. This is my team. :yep:

I've been around for all these garbage seasons. This is my team.

• Upvote 2

I'm a diehard Browns fan have been since like the late 80's. But I love football in general too so when they moved I found myself rooting for the Oilers/Vikings. Since the Oilers are gone I kinda switched them with the Texans. I wouldn't call myself a fan of those teams although I like to see them do good. They have a special place in my heart. :wub:

• Upvote 1

Falcons are supreme. I shall hail King Arthur as he gloriously leads this team to numerous victories this year both on and off the field.

People say Atlanta fans aren't passionate about football, and some have a point, but I speak myself for many that are true Falcon fans...we know our shit, and we love this team just as much as anyone else can love theirs.

:Falcons:

Edited by ATL

Speaking of which...

+1 to all the Browns fans who stuck with their team through thick and.. thicker.