AllYouNeedIsLovie

Peyton Manning or Adrian Peterson for CPOY?

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which players wins CPOY?

• Adrian Peterson
    • Peyton Manning

Well, we all know one of these guys will be CPOY, but who should it be? Both guys are playing at a level no one expected them too and are putting up sensational numbers. I think I'd personally go with AP.

You've gotta go Manning here, don't you? I mean, there were a large amount of people that questioned whether he would play again, let alone play at a high level.

Damn, this is close. Peterson plays at a position that demands physicality and is coming back from a serious knee jury; Manning plays at a position that demands mental sharpness and is coming back from missing an entire season. Peyton will probably get it because he's Peyton, but it would be deserved in either case.

Gonna have to go with Manning. Both came back from potentially career-ending injuries, but I don't think people totally wrote AP off like they did Peyton. A lot of people didn't even give Peyton a chance and he's come back this season (into a totally new team no less) and gunned it.

APs knee was torn to shreds.. The guy came back in record time, and is on pace to set personal bests in yards, YPC, and TDs... Amazing.

Peyton is having a FANTASTIC season. i wasn't expecting him to come back at all... But the guy takes the snap, throws it 5 yards and lets his guys do the rest... Impressive? Absolutely. But AP is doing more, IMO.

Peyton will still win because he's white and a QB though.

Peyton will probably get it because he's Peyton, but it would be deserved in either case.

first off, that

Now that that's out of the way, this really should be extremely close and if there was ever a case for co-CPOTYs this would be it, but just leaving it at that is the copout answer, so here goes:

I usually lean toward players who actually missed time the previous season, which would give Peyton the edge, but at the same time the timing of AP's injury makes his comeback that much more impressive, hard to give anyone an advantage there. As far as expectations, everyone has been pointing out that Peyton was more universally written off, but at some point this offseason most questioned either if AP would be back, when, or how effective he'd be, and most thought he'd at least see a significant dropoff, hard to give either an advantage there but it probably leans slightly in Peyton's favor since his return was questioned into week 1, and really further if you get down to it.

Next, I look at performance, Peyton's 5th in ypg (300.6) 2d in ypa (8.3) 3d in TDs (21) and tenth in INTs (6) [8th if you count Kolb and Skelton as one player, 7th if you do the same with Hasselbeck and Locker] Peterson is 1st in ypg (112.8) 3d in ypa (5.8) for players with 80+ carries [30 players; CJ Spiller (89 carries) and RG3 (81 carries) are ahead in that measure] 2d in TDs (7) 3d in attempts (195 [19.5 per game]) you can't call either of those statlines bad, but I think there's an incredibly slight edge toward Peterson, mainly because of the ridiculous ypa while in the top of the league in attempts, the two guys ahead of him in attempts are Foster, who's got 3.9 ypa, and Marshawn Lynch, who's got 4.7 ypa.

As much as I hate to do it, I think I'm still gonna wind up at the copout answer, these guys have both made once in a generation type comebacks, they just happen to have done so in the same year, assuming they both keep pace I think I'll be upset if it's not a co-CPOTY.

Who came back from injury better? AP. Simply because of the timetable and how shredded that knee was.

Who came back after a year off and is still a boss? Peyton Manning.

AP's comeback is more impressive from a physicality standpoint, but Peyton's is more than physical.

Who should win this award? AP

Who will win this award? Peyton

AP plays a much more physically demanding position...and usually ACL tears are the type of injury's that can ruin an NFL running backs NFL career. Never in my life have I seen someone recover from an ACL so quickly, and be putting up even BETTER numbers than he ever has before. Truly something remarkable, and is a display of how hard this man works.

Peyton, indeed, is having a great year. I believe there were too many people that overestimated the severity of his injury...because his mind seems sharper than it has been ever. He's doing great things with a new team, and he's just getting warmed up for the playoffs as we speak.

Either one winning the award is valid, but to me AP has done something physically more remarkable.

I think they'll give it to AP, because Peyton will get the MVP.

If any award should be split, it should be this. Peyton and AP both deserve it.

AP wins CPOY while The Sheriff wins MVP.

You can't give Manning both awards dammit.

But seriously, while both comebacks are spectacular. I am more impressed by AP. The way he is running the ball and the performance he put up against Seattle was awesome. The RB position is way more physically demanding than the QB position and hes not just out there looking decent, he is looking like the best damn RB in the NFL again.

You've gotta go Manning here, don't you? I mean, there were a large amount of people that questioned whether he would play again, let alone play at a high level.

People were saying the exact same thing about AP.

• Upvote 1

Both comebacks are very impressive but I'm leaning towards AP..I really didn't think he'd be this amazing after that kind of injury..

Also,I wouldn't have thought he'd be the leading rusher after 10 weeks,with over 1100 yards..

Tough one. No one expected Peterson to come back like this and have what is looking to be a career year so far though. I'll take Peterson. His knee was torn to shreds and he came back faster than anyone has ever come back from that type of injury only to be even better than he was.

I wouldn't be sitting with my arms in the air though if it was Peyton.

another thing to keep in mind is most people saw Manning as having probably less than a 50-50 shot at staying healthy, but everyone knew that if his neck held up he'd have a very good season, whereas most people thought even if AP played all season he would fall to the mean

I'd have to say Peyton. I thought he was done. I didn't expect AP to not skip a beat like he has but I fully expected him to be able to play at least a few more years.

I'd have to say Peyton. I thought he was done. I didn't expect AP to not skip a beat like he has but I fully expected him to be able to play at least a few more years.

He didn't just not skip a beat. He got better.

Almost SIX yards per carry. I mean.. what the heck kind of rehab did he go through.

• Upvote 1

He didn't just not skip a beat. He got better.

Almost SIX yards per carry. I mean.. what the heck kind of rehab did he go through.

Nah, I think it's pretty evident that the Vikings just got a whole lot better too. I think it's the same AP but Christian Ponder is better, their offensive line is worlds better. Matt Kalil looks like he'll be an absolute monster. The defense is a lot better now too. They also don't have Chilly running the show. Still amazing though no doubt.

Peyton on the other hand had 4 neck surgeries. Went to a team that doesn't have a great line. A team that doesn't have Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison and still is on pace for his automatic 4000 yards and 30 TD's. He's going to win the AFCW for sure. I mean, I didn't think the guy would make it past the Steelers in week 1.

btw you know me. I've hated Peyton Manning his entire career. Still do, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

Peyton on the other hand had 4 neck surgeries. Went to a team that doesn't have a great line. A team that doesn't have Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison and still is on pace for his automatic 4000 yards and 30 TD's. He's going to win the AFCW for sure. I mean, I didn't think the guy would make it past the Steelers in week 1.

he also went to a team that made the playoffs last year with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow at QB, sure, the Vikings as a team are good, but let's not sell the Broncos short

he also went to a team that made the playoffs last year with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow at QB, sure, the Vikings as a team are good, but let's not sell the Broncos short

You're right. Not saying the Broncos were bad. I was just saying that I didn't think he'd last long behind their line. They were a classic John Fox run first team that changed philosophy completely and switched to Peyton Manning. It didn't look like they had an overabundance of weapons for him in the passing game either.

Edited by seanbrock

AP. And to me it isnt close.

They both have done something spectacular but the time table is where AP gets a huge edge imo. Peyton sat out a year from football, and his injury had a whole year to get better and he was able to take it slow and get his head around every corner except that of actual contact.

AP's was during the season and came back better than what he was before..... which was bar non the best runner in the league and it wasnt close. So to be better than that is out fucking standing when looking at how soon he did it,

The time table to me si where AP gets the big edge.

And lets not act like Peyton goes to a team devoid of weapons. DAmaryius Thomas was a good receiver who had Tim Tebow throwing to him and Also Eric Decker STILL had a good season under those circumstances. Then he has a strong running back to hand it off to and a good defense so they were a good team without him, just a far better one with him.

Manning has the offensive weapons, he has the defense, and he never gets hit... Great season, but the most amazing part of his season is that he is playing at all.

It's gotta be Manning. I hear a lot of people saying that Manning was expected to beast if his neck held up, but it seems like they're all forgetting about the last season that Peyton actually played. He still played great in a lot of games, but there was a stretch where he threw like 10 picks in 3 weeks. It was all "lolPeyton" and what not. He was sub-7 ypa, and he had his lowest QBR since 2002 (it was still over 90).

His neck was jacked up. People thought he'd be done for the season by now. People said he wouldn't be able to play on a team with such a differing philosophy from his own. People said a 36 year old QB recovering from a FOURTH neck surgery who was experiencing velocity issues would NEVER be the same QB again.

AP is playing GREAT, but he's 9 years younger than Peyton and has no real history of ACL issues. I can't speak with certainty on the full expectations of others, but I for one figured Peterson wouldn't miss a beat. It's far less difficult for a 27 year old in peak athletic condition to come back strong from an injury than for a near-40 guy with a past littered with similar injuries IMO.

Also, when talking about expectations, one has to look no further than fantasy football drafts. AP was going no later than the second round in most drafts, while Peyton—in a year where the first round is dominated by QBs—was going as late as the 8th or 9th round in many drafts. Seeing that fantasy football drafts are completely generated by mass expectations, it would appear that AP was still expected to come back to form, while Peyton was being somewhat written off.

Again, I'm going with Peyton.

The list of players who have come back successfully after ONE neck surgery is very very short. Let alone 4. Guys have come back from knee injuries. Happens all the time. Not as good as Peterson has, sure, but were questioning whether he'd be able to ever get velocity on his throws. We were questioning everything with Peyton. I think everyone knew Peterson was coming back. I know Peyton doesn't get hit as much as Peterson but idk. I just have to give it to him.